turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Affinity 20 gauge

Started by Papa, January 23, 2020, 07:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

I purchased a Affinity 3 20 gauge 26 inch barrel bottom land camo last Fall. I have ordered a .555 Carlsons tss choke, and a .575 Carlsons choke for it. The question that I have is which choke do you think would give me the best pattern with Federal tss 7 shot. The smallest shot size that I can use is 7 1/2 here in Indiana. I also know that according to the people on this board that own the Affinity that I may have cycling problems with this gun and shell. The cheapest I can buy Apex 7 1/2 for is 42.00 a box. I can just about buy 2 boxes of Federals for that price. I have never reloaded a shell in my life but I may have to learn.

RemingtonRules

No cycling issues with mine so far. 575 would be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa

A big Thanks RemingtonRules. I am sure hoping that I don't have any problems with mine either.

Elmerfudd

575 was the best overall in mine. No cycling issues.

surehuntsalot

the .575 is where I would start
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TKE921

I am using #9 shot so the numbers will be moot to your question but I use a 570 choke in my affinity and get somewhere between a volleyball and basketball sized pattern at 20 yards, then about a 55/45 split between the 10 and 20 inch pattern @ 40 yds.

Spurs Up

:angel2:
Quote from: TKE921 on January 26, 2020, 05:11:55 PM
I am using #9 shot so the numbers will be moot to your question but I use a 570 choke in my affinity and get somewhere between a volleyball and basketball sized pattern at 20 yards, then about a 55/45 split between the 10 and 20 inch pattern @ 40 yds.

???  Just curious...are you suggesting 100% of the payload/pellets are inside the 10" radius (20" diameter) circle at 40 yards?  I've never seen more than 95% inside the 20" diam;  that leaves 5% or more outside the 20".

PineyRooster

i initially had cycling issues with the feds when i got mine last spring. they were the first loads i tried in the brand new gun. However after dove season, squirrel season, shooting clays, ect flash forward to this year and now they cycle fine. dont know if the gun just needed to be broken in or what. but if you have any issues get with AT on here and he can show you how to fix the problem if you have cycling issues with the longer shells.

JBK

575 Carlson and TSS 9s and Fed Hvy 7s were really nice patterns out of mine. 

Papa

Thanks for the info guys, if I have problems with mine I know where to look for help.

TKE921

Quote from: Spurs Up on January 26, 2020, 06:34:04 PM
:angel2:
Quote from: TKE921 on January 26, 2020, 05:11:55 PM

???  Just curious...are you suggesting 100% of the payload/pellets are inside the 10" radius (20" diameter) circle at 40 yards?  I've never seen more than 95% inside the 20" diam;  that leaves 5% or more outside the 20".

Not at all.  I purposely shoot a more open 570 choke because i have many shots within 15 yards.  I am usually somewhere between 83 and 88% of the total shot within a 20" circle at 40 yards.  Of that, 55/45 are split between the 10 and 20.

Spurs Up

Thanks for clarifying. That's kind of an odd way of reporting pattern distributions. You could have only 1 pellet in the 10" and 1 in the 10"-20".  Your math would achieve a balanced, even 50:50 ratio.

macobb

I run a .570 sumtoy. It's not the tightest at 40yards but a Lethal pattern from 0-50. Especially between 15-30 where 90% of my shots are. The only issue I've had so far was trying to be quiet and easing the slide close instead of letting it shut on its on the gun won't fire because the slide is not locked into place (for lack of a better term) and that nearly cost me a 3 year old last year. So you don't have to let it slam shut from all the way open but definitely try about halfway so it can engage the way it is designed to.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

TKE921

instead of letting it slam closed you can ease it forward until it stops moving then just push up slightly on the ejector,  The bolt head will rotate and move forward into battery like it should.

Dermott

I have been using a Browning Maxus 12 gauge for turkey hunting for years. It has performed flawlessly and I love it.  HOWEVER, I HAD TO HAVE A PACEMAKER INSTALLED 3 DAYS BEFORE SEASON IN 2019! I am afraid the recoil would be too much with the Pacemaker.

I bought a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge for this year's hunt and hope the recoil is minimum. I plan to use TSS ammo. 

Any comments on minimizing recoil? Thx!