OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opinion on red slate  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Tom Dooley

Opinion on red slate
« on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
Do you like it better than gray or green? How is it different from gray and green?

Offline Loyalist84

Re: Opinion on red slate
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 10:13:16 AM »
Red slate is much harder than grey/black slate, I find it gives a higher pitch with a coughing rasp in the back end, whereas the black slate is a much more mellow sound with a grating yelp, if that makes sense. I don't have any personal experience with green slate, however.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
Runs deeper and raspier than green but very similar in that it's also much harder than grey. Tends to be finicky on conditioning also similar to green and purple, but a fresh scotch brite scrub gets it singing.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:32:29 AM »
I dont like it, too much of a pain to keep conditioned.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »
Green is highest pitched of the slate surfaces to me.  Runs very easy and is becoming a favorite of mine.

Red is lower pitched and has a guttural rasp on the back end and it has to be conditioned more but a scotchbright pad works great on it.

I think there is a time and place for both em and I like em both.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »
I like mine, does not seem to be any harder to condition than any other slate, though mine is mineral stained red slate and maybe that makes a difference?

I agree with va longbeard about it being lower pitched than green for sure. Though I have only had the 2 so I am not super experience with it.

I would like to get with the guy that made my red slate and have him make me a green, purple and gray slate in the same pot and size, that would really tell the difference.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tom Dooley

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 07:34:09 PM »
Thanks for your reply's

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »
I had and traded a Corder gray slate and my Buster's red slate is as good or better, I have not hunted it yet but I have ran it a good bit and have only hit it one time with scotch brite.

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 08:16:13 PM »
Love it!!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline Tom Talker

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 09:50:58 PM »
It is hands down my personal favorite of all of the slates. The turkeys love it too. In my experience I have not found a striker that it does not like either.

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »
I have a Buster's red slate on my bench that I play daily to check strikers...may only condition once a week if that.

As mentioned above, most strikers will make it sing!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 11:19:22 PM »
I have red slate is it one of my favorites no..  i would take glass , Alum or Ceramic over the red ... But it's all up to what a person wants to play and has the most confidences ..

Offline Ol timer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 08:09:51 AM »
All the Red slate I've made sound higher pitched because the slate is much harder, it is tougher to condition as with gray slate when using a scotch pad you will get the gray dust because of the softer slate. It also has a flaw in it if you get one with any white crystal in it most will crack at that point so be aware of that flaw. As for the Green it's also in the same range as the red but is easier to get better roll over. They all have different sounds with different woods I found my red and green like a softer wood to be housed in.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 11:22:21 AM »
Red slate is gradually replacing my grey in my vest. Down here in the south , humidity is tough on grey. Red and green does not seem affected by it as much. Some talking about how its a pain to condition so often. My experience is different. Red , green and ceramic seem to need conditioning a whole lot less than my other surfaces.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Ol timer

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 12:14:28 PM »
That’s good info S&D so the humidity must help it from being to slick? Up Here in the North it don’t like cold temps it’s almost like a aluminum surface slippery and none responsive at times like bare glass, but once conditioned with a pad it is like a gray slate.