OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot calls - wood expanding and contracting?  (Read 4208 times)

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Re: Pot calls - wood expanding and contracting?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 04:59:37 PM »
I don't know if it will help ya, but, I do alot of my own stabilizing, so, therefore the wood has to be absolutely dry.  The only way to achieve this, is a digital scale that measures down in grams.  Moisture meters will not read accurately read, the closer you get to zero.   I leave my blanks a little on the large size for drying warpage, but I dry
them in a toaster oven.  My toaster oven is equipped with an external thermostat for safety.  Weigh  your blanks prior to putting them in your oven. Document their weight.   then put your blanks in the oven to dry them, and take them out every couple of hours and weigh them.  Your looking for no more weight loss.  Once its lost all its moisture, it no longer looses weight.  at this point, its ready to stabilize, but for your situation, put them in a gallon Zip lock back, and throw in some desiccant bags.  You can buy them on Amazon.  This keeps them dry.  Now, on certain woods, that tends to warp more than others, like Walnut, your still gonna have to  Double turn them,  Double turning them still reduces the stress thats built in the fibers of the wood.  But if you do this, you wont have any issues.  Or shouldn't.  Lots of humidity during glue up can still cause some warpage.  Ive even seen it on stabilized pots.  But drying it, and storing it properly will help reduce or eliminate your issues.