OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot calls - wood expanding and contracting?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Jrkimbrough

Pot calls - wood expanding and contracting?
« on: January 22, 2020, 11:54:41 AM »
Any of you pot call makers have any problems with playing surfaces breaking due to this?

I've noticed recently on a few pots I've built that after I turned in my shop and taken inside my house to finish prior to gluing playing surface that they have contracted smaller than the playing surface lip.

My woodshed is not heated/cooled and its been on avg. in the 30-40's recently whereas inside my home it's obviously warmer and less moisture in the air.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with slate or glass surfaces breaking or coming loose due to the call being taken inside in warmer/dryer conditions and the wood contracting.

The wood I've had do this has only been certain wood types and they have not had any finish applied yet, which may also prevent expanding and contracting to an extent.  Knock on wood, I've never had a surface break or come loose but it just makes me wonder.

Thanks!

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Pot calls - wood expanding and contracting?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:24:28 PM »
Keep your wood in the house, and check with a moisture meter. I like it between 6-7% moisture.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 04:20:53 PM »
Keep your wood in the house, and check with a moisture meter. I like it between 6-7% moisture.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Never had any problem during spring/summer/fall only during coldest parts of winter.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:02 PM »
Double turn the pot. It relieves the stress and lets it cup.  Let it sit for a while.  I keep mine behind my wood stove.  You can measure the shrinkage across the grain. Some woods need longer than others. 

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »
Double turn the pot. It relieves the stress and lets it cup.  Let it sit for a while.  I keep mine behind my wood stove.  You can measure the shrinkage across the grain. Some woods need longer than others.

^^^^^^^^

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »

Please forgive my ignorance but what do you mean exactly by "double turn"? 

Offline mmclain

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
Core out 80 percent of the inside and outside. Then finish turning later. 

Offline Gunzy

• Gunzenhauser Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »
I’ve had it happen from time to time. I use a lot of stabilized material to eliminate that issue, but when turning natural wood, especially domestic material that was air dried as opposed to kiln dried, it happens. Before turning it, bring it inside a few days early. Take it out, turn it, and bring it back inside right away. That will help reduce the issue.

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »
Thanks guys!  I’ll try that! 

Do you guys feel once the finish is applied inside and out that the expansion and contraction issues will go away for the most part being that its sealed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
Guys Im gonna have to dig up this post from last year.

Tried Blue Mahoe for the first time the other day and it slightly warped after applying the finish

I guess Im trying to clarify some above suggestions since winter time is when I turn ALOT of pots in my unheated shop

I will immediately start 80% turning all pots but Im also curious if wood storage would be something I should change during winter as well.

Should I store my blanks in my house in the heat prior to turning for a minimum of a few days?  Then take to shop, turn, then take back indoors?

Once this call is completed and shipped it may experience cold temps in a USPS truck while in transit, do you think being stored in heat would have any effects when its being shipped in a temp that’s completely opposite of storage and turning temps.

I guess Im also curious about you guys experience on expansion/contraction on calls once they are completed and in use?

As we all know turkey season temps can vary quite a bit from early to late season. Once call is turned, finish applied and surfaces glued up do you feel these help stabilize the wood once it gets to the point of being used where it will experience a wide variety of temps and conditions?

Thanks for all the input and open conversations!!

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »
And on the blue mahoe pot, if i turned again do you think I would have any more expansion/contraction issues?

I hate to waste expensive wood!  Lol

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
What is avg time frame you let sit after 80%?

Thanks so much!  Sorry for all the questions

Offline mmclain

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 08:10:42 PM »
You should bring it into your house.  For a couple of weeks.  Or if you have a dehumidifier in a small room it will reduce the moisture below 8%  get a humidity meter to monitor relative humidity.   Indoors it will be about 35/40% which will be about 8% moisture I. The wood.   If you have a wood stove you can remove the humidity very quickly.   I set all blanks behind my stove for the time I build calls in the winter.   Just rough in a big box full of blanks and keep them handy.  I have blanks that have been roughed in several years old.   All wood moves!!! Even after the moisture is 6/8% just from relieving the stress held in the wood.   Account for that as well.  All wood moves!  Some more than others.  You can even turn a pot a 3rd time. 

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 08:35:44 PM »
You should bring it into your house.  For a couple of weeks.  Or if you have a dehumidifier in a small room it will reduce the moisture below 8%  get a humidity meter to monitor relative humidity.   Indoors it will be about 35/40% which will be about 8% moisture I. The wood.   If you have a wood stove you can remove the humidity very quickly.   I set all blanks behind my stove for the time I build calls in the winter.   Just rough in a big box full of blanks and keep them handy.  I have blanks that have been roughed in several years old.   All wood moves!!! Even after the moisture is 6/8% just from relieving the stress held in the wood.   Account for that as well.  All wood moves!  Some more than others.  You can even turn a pot a 3rd time.
Thanks!!  Ive started bringing a handful of blanks in the heated house for at least a week before taking to shop to turn, then drilling holes and 60% turning then letting sit for a few more days. Storage spot indoors is close to a heat vent. So far so good!

Offline mmclain

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 11:01:14 PM »
Sometimes the pot may need to be turned a third time.   All wood moves. Some more than others.