turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Non-traditional camo.

Started by deerbasshunter3, January 23, 2020, 04:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

What are your thoughts on non-traditional camo (Sitka,Nomad) vs traditional camo (Mossy Oak, Realtree)?

Do you think it makes a difference in the turkey woods?

Sixes

Movement is the key, stay still while sitting buck naked and you can kill game, might get a few bites in unwanted places, but you can still shoot game.

ASAT camo is kinda non traditional and I've used their leafy suit for years with great results.

I own First Lite in their Fusion pattern but can't remember turkey hunting in it, I only use it for cold weather

Bowguy

Is a flannel shirt non traditional? As stated stay still n wear whatever you like. Turkeys walk right up to stationary things

Greg Massey

Wildgame was killed for years before camo came along. Down wind , limited movement and patience's is one of your best friends. Mossy oak bottomland is some of the best camo , nothing wrong with Realtree.. Buy what  you can afford , that makes you comfortable. I was also, fan back in the day of tree bark camo.

SteelerFan

I like the new trend in Camo patterns. I really like the True Timber Strata type patterns. I think the new patterns break up the "blob" better. Now, that's just my commentary on the patterns. I think camo helps hide movement, but being still is paramount.

Yes, pappy killed birds wearing pajamas... but. We can also all admit that camo patterns are as much about luring hunters to buy as much as hiding. And "camo" is usually our favorite color  ;D

randy6471

Camo helps breakup a hunters outline to go un-noticed, but movement....or lack of...is the key.

I prefer the more traditional patterns like realtree and mossy oak.

deerbasshunter3

I think I am more attracted to the Obsession pattern because it seems to be the "go-to" turkey pattern, at least in the South. I am, however, starting to like the look of the "non-traditional" camo, but probably because, after going to three different sports stores, I could not find much, if any, Obsession camo that fit me...

StruttinGobbler3

Although I do wear a leafy jacket just to break up my outline a little, it's really not needed to be honest. Might help me get away with small movements in some cases but that's about it. Being able to sit still is the biggest factor. When I was a young boy I recall watching my dad call a hen to within shooting range while wearing jeans and a white t shirt. It's not the color or pattern that hides you, it's the ability to sit rock still and melt into the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Kylongspur88

If it's not moving or shiney turkeys don't pay much attention to to it so camo patterns don't really matter. Same for deer.

aclawrence

I think traditional camo is probably some of the worst. Almost all camo turns into a big blob from not too far away. I think Asat is terribly ugly but probably the best camo on the market.  All that being said Turkey Hunting is a culture thing and I have been sucked into the old mossy oak bottomland and green leaf stuff. It reminds me of growing up hunting. It just makes me feel good to be wearing that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk