OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Funky Chicken Jake Decoy  (Read 1478 times)

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
Funky Chicken Jake Decoy
« on: January 21, 2020, 06:25:37 PM »
Has anyone hunted with this weird looking decoy, and does it work? Seems like people all over the internet swear this thing works like a charm. I can’t see how something this unrealistic would work so well. Any experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
Re: Funky Chicken Jake Decoy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »
A few guys I know kill with it regularly!   Have not brought myself to trying one yet, but would like one for run and gun hunts.

I typically leave the decoys in the truck while prospecting, If I am hunting a field that I know birds use I will likely use my dsd set!   

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:17:43 PM »
It would probably at the very least be safer. If someone came up on ya they would be more likely to recognize it as a fake and not get so trigger happy.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
 I took wood survey stake and put a  Red Solo Cup on top of it and killed a big gobbler one time , now i always carry wood survey stake and red solo cup on ever hunt....

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 08:20:06 PM »
I can give some insight to the Funky Chicken, so from the behavioral/biological aspect of turkey hunting there are a number of body ques that one can learn, from the elongated neck of the Chicken and the amount of RED on the neck it is looking to instigate a fight, this is why they are coming to the decoy, and yes to a smaller degree the size of the body. So yes a Funky Chicken can work if you decide to use.

MK M GOBL

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 08:43:46 PM »
I took wood survey stake and put a  Red Solo Cup on top of it and killed a big gobbler one time , now i always carry wood survey stake and red solo cup on ever hunt....
  LMBO. Backing up on a gobbler with your pants down around your ankles works too. You saw it here first if you happen to run in to it. For your thread, I've been told the funky chicken works.

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »
I’ve killed one gobbler over a Funky Chicken - also easy to pack in.

Offline SoDak_JD

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 11:46:38 PM »
Found one on clearance for $9.99 about 4 years ago.  Only time I've used it, we were successful:

We had a group of 3 hen decoys and one Funky Chicken out on a field edge.  4 hens and 3 toms flew down at the other end of the field.  One of the guys did some soft hen calling but nothing too aggressive.  The birds worked across the field feeding and then started heading back the other direction when one of the hens stopped and looked over at our decoys for about 30 seconds.  She caught back up to the rest of the group and within a minute the 4 hens came running DIRECTLY to the Funky Chicken.  The toms strutted right in following them and we took two home with us.

A few pictures below...

Red are the 4 hens
Blue are the 3 toms
Green is a hen decoy
White arrow on the 2nd photo is the funky chicken

You can see that by the last photo, all the birds are in the vicinity of the Funky Chicken

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
Awesome pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 11:57:57 PM »
  LMBO. Backing up on a gobbler with your pants down around your ankles works too. You saw it here first if you happen to run in to it. For your thread, I've been told the funky chicken works.

Sounds like an Old Pro Turkey Hunter. ;)

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
Just make sure your backing up to a real gobbler and not one of masseys trick sticks, he might have a trip wire a couple feet in front of it. I'd hate to find ya out there impaled.

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 11:01:37 AM »
It works great and easy to carry. I wasn't sure until I tried him.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 01:53:44 PM »
I’ve had it work spectacularly and I’ve had it scare birds. They work, it’s just, if gobblers are being beat up by jakes, they’ll shy away. If not, they’ll likely come in aggressively. I had a gobbler beat up on chicken for probably 7 or 8 mins., nonstop until I could get a shot and end that beat down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nebgoosehunter

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
Yes I use one and they work.  They have literally sprinted in to it.  Other times nothing has come in, but I don't know if that was due to the decoy or they just didn't want to come in. 

Offline TKE921

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 05:17:06 PM »
My friends and I have killed a pile of birds over my FC decoy over multiple years and states.  I have only ever seen one bird shy away from it (including hens and other jakes), but it came over a hill way left of where expected and popped out basically right on top of the decoy and it spooked him, so he turned and walked away.