OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Just Starting Diaphragm Call Making  (Read 2364 times)

Offline fly_guy_ry

Just Starting Diaphragm Call Making
« on: January 21, 2020, 05:25:04 PM »
Hello,

I'm a poor college kid that cannot continue to purchase store bought diaphragm calls.  So, I have decided to build my own jig and am going to start building my own calls.  I am kind of looking for just a "Quick Start" beginner's guide to building a decent call to just get me started.  I've looked at .0025", .003", and .004" thick latex.  Is there a certain thickness I should focus on first to start off?  Are you supposed to use two different thicknesses of latex for a two reed call or does it not matter?  Also, could you give me an idea of how much tension I should put on the latex?  Any other beginner tips you could give to me before I purchase my materials or start building?

Please, I am not looking for any of your special call making secrets.  I just want the very basics.  I am just a bored college student trying to save some money and maybe to kill a turkey if I get lucky.  Thanks!

Chad

Re: Just Starting Diaphragm Call Making
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:01:11 PM »
I'm interested in this topic as well of anyone would chime in!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:45:55 PM »
Much of the information you need to start building calls has been discussed in this section in the past.  I would suggest you review the previous topics and posts and then if something is unclear to you, come back on your thread here and ask whatever questions you need answered.

As for the latex thickness, the choices you listed are a good starting point.  For most folks, anything thicker than the .004 or thereabouts is too heavy.  The latex used in turkey call making is made in batches primarily for other purposes.  The batches vary in consistency and are often color-coded.  The color can make a difference,....for instance, a batch of red .003 may produce better tonal quality than a batch of yellow .003.  Don't assume that any color .003 (or other thickness) will sound the same as any other.  Some just make better turkey calls than others.  Latex is pretty cheap.  Get you an assortment of colors as well as thicknesses.

You can combine thicknesses in your calls any way you want, and I would recommend two and three-reed calls for most all of your builds, although don't be afraid to throw in some half-reeds and spacing reeds when experimenting.   If you favor certain types of calls now, just use those and start by trying to replicate them.  Over time, you will begin to learn what works best for you and gradually gravitate towards certain call designs.

Reed stretch/tension varies depending on the combinations of latex and thicknesses you use. If you get a jig or press that has a tension meter, you can refer to some of the discussion in previous topics as a start.  if you are stretching without a meter, a good start would be to begin by stretching the latex pieces between 1/4 and 1/2 inch on your initial attempts to see what kind of sound you get.  You will get a feel for the stretch you need pretty quickly.

Make note of discussion in previous topics about cut progressions and start out by using them,....going from simple cuts to more complex and trying your calls between cuts.  That will save you a lot of call materials over time.

In summary, there are a multitude of variables in mouth calls,...frame sizes, reed thicknesses, colors, numbers, reed spacing, tensions, and cuts,...and all of them can and will make a difference in the sound of a call.  We can discuss any or all of them to help you out.

We will help you however we can,....ain't no secrets to be kept...

Chad

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »
Great info GobbleNut