OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Birds of the Spur Collectors  (Read 2420 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Birds of the Spur Collectors
« on: January 21, 2020, 12:51:52 PM »
Figure I would add this to the board.  This is a thread to add any of your kills or kills you are involved with, calling for others, doubles, etc.  Think it would be fun to see how many birds total the team is responsible for.  We have done something similar in the past and it seemed everyone enjoyed it.  Will also give us a place to post up kills that may not upgrade. 
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Birds of the Spur Collectors
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 09:07:14 PM »
Congrats man!  Way to go breaking the ice.  Details coming soon I hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 10:40:55 PM »
Congrats, did he fall victim to KP or Buice?

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »
Congrats man!  Way to go breaking the ice.  Details coming soon I hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killed the bird off scouting more than anything.  My in-laws had some timber on the farm cut so last weekend I went down to scout. I felt I had a good idea what they would do but wanted to check. After scouting Saturday and Sunday morning I felt I had a good plan.

Rode the two hours down Yesterday. Got there and got set up in spot I picked out last weekend. While scouting last weekend I heard birds gobbling in woods behind where I sat up and had hens fly over me into the field Saturday morning. Sunday morning there was three toms in field and one just off the edge gobbling. As I waited a bird about 200 yards behind me started gobbling on roost. He did not gobble a lot but enough to get blood flowing.

Heard another a ways off and waited.  Was waiting to hear the hens to start calling, or see one, but I heard what sounded like a flap or two.  I looked up waiting for a bird to sail past me but nothing.  I was sitting wondering if I should try and make a move on the gobbling bird before he got out of the block of woods when something to my left caught my attention. Two long beards were 20 yards from me walking in range. They stopped behind some trash so I got my gun to shoot which ever way they went and prepared to cluck, well they stepped forward and stopped so I picked the biggest and shot. He dropped and other bird jumped straight up then walked to his friend. He hung around about 20 minutes, got to hear him gobble a few times at 20 yards or so. He would not leave so I kicked a bush a couple times to spook him off. After he left I got up to get my bird and another longboard was headed my way but spooked when I stepped out.

Was done before 7:15 am and have to wait until April 1 until I can go again. Was fun and great to get out. Hope to go listen at my lease Saturday for the April 1 opener up here in the upstate.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:01:31 AM »
This is my wet opening day bird. He flopped in a puddle as soon as I shot him, so the pic isn't great at all. Was a fun hunt with lots of action, but the next 2 days were dead slow. Didn't get to go last weekend due to work, heading up tonight to try and find another one.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 05:47:30 PM »
Yall going to leave us any birds?

lol

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 07:19:03 PM »
Yall going to leave us any birds?

lol

Looks like you found a couple dandies! Congratulations!

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »
Not an upgrade but great hunt!

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 06:57:24 PM »
Good job fellers! and the battle heats up.........

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 01:36:57 PM »
Please put all congratulations in this thread. The contest entry thread is just for the entries. Thanks!

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
Filled my last S.C. tag yesterday morning. Was supposed to leave for Kansas Friday but with all this mess we cancelled the trip. May try to sneak to NC or somewhere but probably done. Wish I upgraded but very happy with my season. Good luck guys and I look forward to hunting through y’all. Be safe!

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
2020 NY gobbler #1...

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 07:05:26 AM »