OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Realistic AND Portable Decoys?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 21, 2020, 02:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Yes, I know DSD decoys are the most realistic thing you can buy aside from a stuffer. However, some days I move around a lot and cover ground, and the thought of hauling around a pair of full body decoys is not something I want to do, as I'm already carrying my gun and my hunting chair. Also, I don't use the decoys that much unless I set up on a field. So what I am looking for is something portable as well as realistic. I want decoys I can shove in the back of my vest without being bulky, but better looking than the cheap foam box store variety. Any suggestions?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Gooserbat

I know it's cheap but a couple of years ago I picked up a set of primos for like $45 and those have worked good so far. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wchadw

I have some Montana decoys. They don't look that great but they are better than hauling those huge plastic ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

I haven't used a decoy in a few years but the last one I bought was a cheap foam one from wal mart. It folded in half and was very light weight in the vest. I used it more for back comfort than a decoy but I had gobblers come in to it just as they would a overly expensive DSD or other high dollar deke. Cheap box store variety worked well for me.

wchadw

Quote from: wchadw on January 21, 2020, 08:11:47 AM
I have some Montana decoys. They don't look that great but they are better than hauling those huge plastic ones

I got one of these at my office. I'll try to remember to take a picture. They are are kinda a big spring that crushes down about the size of a frisbee

SoDak_JD

Quote from: wchadw on January 21, 2020, 08:11:47 AM

I've been happy with the Montana decoys.  I have Purrfect Pair.

I think they look better than some of the foam/rubber ones I've had...but they're no DSD or Avian X.

wchadw

Here's my girlfriend. She not that pretty compared to some of the others but she's low maintenance

Muzzy61

I use DSD for field hunting. I have a Primos Gobbstoper hen that I use for run and gun. Had good results with it.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

StruttinGobbler3

Has anyone tried the funky chicken Jake decoy? It looks ridiculous, but all over the internet it has nearly five star reviews. Everyone says gobblers will run in and beat it senseless.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Dtrkyman

MK M GOBL

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 21, 2020, 01:28:05 PM
Has anyone tried the funky chicken Jake decoy? It looks ridiculous, but all over the internet it has nearly five star reviews. Everyone says gobblers will run in and beat it senseless.

Just seen another post on this and I can give some insight to the Funky Chicken, so from the behavioral/biological aspect of turkey hunting there are a number of body ques that one can learn, from the elongated neck of the Chicken and the amount of RED on the neck it is looking to instigate a fight, this is why they are coming to the decoy, and yes to a smaller degree the size of the body. So yes a Funky Chicken can work if you decide to use.

MK M GOBL

firedup

I don't use dekes that much but on occasion they can work really well. Saying that, I usually carry a Cherokee inflatable if I feel I might use one. Very compact, lightweight. Fits in your jacket pocket. Pretty durable but you can fix any holes with a tape patch or something. And they do work as decoys should. I find them on sale after hunting season pretty cheap. Ebay, whatever. Another option for you. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-Jill-Inflatable-Decoy-Black/dp/B00A2WK52O

Mossberg90MN

I have an Avian X LCD Jake. It does look super real, and it does collapse enough for you to put it in game bag of a vest. It's still pretty big to lug around though.

I also hav a Montana decoy Jake. The fact that it compresses is very cool. It is light as well. I bought it intentionally for running and gunning. My only thing with it is I'm not sure how well it's going to work. It kinda looks like exactly what it sounds like. So if anyone has any input on the effectiveness of those Montana decoys, that would be great. Not to high Jack the thread by any means.

Balla1982

I second the use of the primos decoys for a cheaper and lighter decoy to lug around.  I use a hen DSD now and it's not heavy or too cumbersome, but most of the time after I pull it out of the bag it won't go back in until I'm done hunting. 
I've had luck with the cheap foam decoys from walmart and up to my DSD. 

wchadw

I saw where primos is coming out with something new for 2020 that is supposed to be lifelike and collapsing.