OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Watch Your Eyes and Ears!  (Read 1856 times)

Offline blake_08

Watch Your Eyes and Ears!
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:23:28 PM »
Hello all, I'm sure many of you have been in the woods all of your lives and have encountered all kinds of stuff in that time. I have as well, although today I experienced something I'd rather have done without. I was out at daylight for a little shed hunting and time spent outdoors. Normally, I'd have my oldest son with me (7 years old) and my leatherman in my pocket but today I was thankful that I'd left both at the house. I was about 2 miles from my truck and walking through a small thicket and using my forearm to move some branches. As I went through I had my head turned so any branches that may come lose wouldn't slap me in the face or eyes. Instead, a branch came lose and slapped me right in the ear hole. I don't know what the odds are of a branch being just the right height, with a twig that was just the right diameter, and at just the right angle to hit my ear drum is, but the odds were good enough because that is exactly what happened. Instantly my ear started ringing like I've never heard it do and I couldn't hear anything out of it. I reached up to feel of my ear and sure enough, there's a stick about the size of a q-tip broke off in my eardrum. I called my wife to let her know what happened and got my bearings and headed for the truck. Luckily I never got dizzy or anything but it was pretty painful and had I had my needle nose leatherman pliers, I probably would have tried to pull it which would have been a mistake. I got home and went to the hospital where they gave me anesthesia and took the stick out and made sure the rest of my ear was clear of debris. Guys I know this is minor compared to what could happen to any of us in the woods but it got me to thinking about how many of us go across state and even across country on hunts. An incident like this would pretty much ruin a hunting trip and possibly even a season (I still can't hear out of my ear and the doctor says it could be 4 weeks before the hole in my ear drum heals and my hearing returns). I know people hunt and make it with worse, but I'd sure like to keep my 2 eyes and 2 ears in good health. So think about it this year guys, whether you're traveling or hunting in your backyard, be conscience about safety in all aspects of the hunt and take care of yourself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:57:34 PM by blake_08 »

Offline randy6471

Re: Watch Your Eyes and Ears!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:41:45 PM »
Wow sorry that happened to you. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery and thanks for sharing

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
That's scary , prayers .....

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »
Wow man. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a full and swift recovery.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 11:22:08 PM »
 :o Man that's crazy! I have a small amount of hearing loss in my right ear and that was my fault, when I fist started to hang around friends that hunted and were into guns I went shooting with them one day and I was shooting a friends revolver, I had shot a few times and had hearing protection on but for whatever stupid reason I did not put any on that time. I leaned over the vehicles hood to use the rest and shot. Basically what happened is the sound bounced back at me from the windshield, damaging my hearing in my right ear and I could not hear anything from it for well over a week.

Things are much better now, I hear most things though some higher pitched things make my ear kinda ring. Best example I can give is that I can no longer listen to The Judds because their voices hit a pitch that makes my ear whistle quite badly. Bummer is they are one of my favorite groups and maybe the only females singers I have ever really loved.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 02:36:30 AM »
Dang thats crazy. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 07:50:37 AM »
I've never heard of that happening, glad you are doing OK.

Online sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 07:58:10 AM »
Damn!

I can say I’ve had a flying insect go in my ear and get lost. Talk about the most annoying thing ever, as he’d move and try to fly freaking out it’s feel like he was on the back of my eye ball!!! 

He couldn’t find his way out, I had to tilt my head and fill my ear with water and float him out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blake_08

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »
Damn!

I can say I’ve had a flying insect go in my ear and get lost. Talk about the most annoying thing ever, as he’d move and try to fly freaking out it’s feel like he was on the back of my eye ball!!! 

He couldn’t find his way out, I had to tilt my head and fill my ear with water and float him out

My dad had the same thing happen. A small beetle flew into his ear and couldn't get out. Dad had to get a flashlight and hold to his ear hole and the beetle went to the light and out he went!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:40:03 AM by blake_08 »

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 08:42:17 AM »
Yikes, Glad you're ok.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline blake_08

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 08:42:47 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll be fine and heal up to 100% I'm sure. I wasn't trying to look for sympathy by sharing this, but to remind everyone to be conscience of the small and everyday stuff we do. I should have went through that thicket differently and next time I will.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 09:11:39 AM »
Wow, I scratched my eye a few years ago so bad I couldn’t drive at night, I wear safety glasses in the field all the time now!

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Wow glad you're ok.  A lot of hidden dangers out there doing the things we like to do, often alone and hours away from any help.  But can't live life on the couch in fear either.  Hope you make a full recovery.

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
Dang that made me dizzy just looking at and imagining.  Glad they say you'll be alright.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »
That sucks!  My hearing is bad enough, I don’t think I could take a stick to the ear drum. I did do something similar to that a few years ago shed hunting. I ran a stick in my left eye. Luckily it wasn’t so bad that I couldn’t drive home with one eye. Made me think though, I hadn’t told anybody where I was and there’s little to no cell service there. A man certainly needs to be cautious out there.