OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rainy day pot suggestions

Started by wchadw, January 19, 2020, 12:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchadw

Used to I would not hunt if it was going to rain, but these days with kids I gotta get in the woods whenever I get a chance....

So, I have some delrin trumpets but I need a pot to purr on. Looking at the Dawkins aluminum in plastic pot. Question is does it have a wet playing striker? Or do I need to find something? If so what do y'all run?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Screamin' Demon II with a corian pot and a carbon striker:

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

HookedonHooks

Lonzo acrylic in stoned aluminum for me. Stoned tends to still get a good grip that the anodized doesn't when it's wet.

I like the waterproof striker that Kevin Farr makes, it runs a little better than the fiber rod for me, but any water proof striker option should work.

BTH

Yingling carbon striker and Dawkins stoned aluminum in the blackish green plastic pot. Killed one with this combo in a downpour opening day last spring.

The 2 pc stiker that comes with the Dawkins pot is a dymondwood or laminate wood striker rod with some sort of plastic handle. Sounds really good on almost any pot you put it to.

My brother runs one of Al's raw aluminum and corian pots (enticer)  and really likes it. He called one in on a string last spring with Al's call on gamelands during a very humid and foggy morning.
Phil 4:13

wchadw

Quote from: BTH on January 19, 2020, 12:15:02 PM
Yingling carbon striker and Dawkins stoned aluminum in the blackish green plastic pot. Killed one with this combo in a downpour opening day last spring.

The 2 pc stiker that comes with the Dawkins pot is a dymondwood or laminate wood striker rod with some sort of plastic handle. Sounds really good on almost any pot you put it to.
Thanks. Now just gotta find me a Dawkins pot.

wchadw

Quote from: PEte_A on January 19, 2020, 12:26:45 PM
They are very reasonably priced new from him
Does he keep them on hand ? I been on list for a while for a box call

HookedonHooks

Quote from: wchadw on January 19, 2020, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: PEte_A on January 19, 2020, 12:26:45 PM
They are very reasonably priced new from him
Does he keep them on hand ? I been on list for a while for a box call
Yes. He'll have you send him a money order and he'll mail it to you. Should have them ready to go.

Ranger

Bread bag is what I use and change nothing about the calls I carry
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Ranger on January 19, 2020, 01:17:32 PM
I keep one folded up in my vest, but on days it's pouring, and I'm going into the field knowing it's gonna rain I take the acrylics still. Does work fantastic for both boxes and pots, but practice running them in the bag before the hunt.

Browning87

Lonzo acrylic glass with a yingling fiber rod striker is my go to rainy day pot call

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Ranger on January 19, 2020, 01:17:32 PM
Ameristep or Double Bull for me..Blind haters can hate and stay wet or at home... :funnyturkey:

packmule

Happy hooker

Loftus Crystal Screamer,,it can handle Minnesota rain,sleet and snow spring days

Bowguy

Guys enticer calls hs a video of him running his under a running faucet. I'll be honest I wasn't exactly sure bout that. First thing I did was try it. It worked. Now here's the kicker. Imo it'll play better than video sounds. My style is very different than what's shown. I bet yours is too. You won't be disappointed.
Silver thunder extreme is pot