turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quality of PA gray slate

Started by Harty, January 27, 2020, 01:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harty

I've had a few callmakers tell me that they currently prefer not to work with the recent PA-gray slate. They say the quality has diminished (become too soft) and that they prefer to work with VA-green slate.
    I currently have more green and red slate calls in my modest collection then gray,but would like to add a few of the "traditional" grays as well, but right now a bit "gun shy".

Thoughts and insights much appreciated.

HookedonHooks

I've heard many similar comments echoed from many call makers. In my collection, I've noticed the older grey slate calls are typically better than newer grey slate calls from the same maker.

It's a different sound, but green slate is phenomenal and loaded with turkey.

If you see older grey slates from call makers that you like, don't hesitate on them. I wouldn't be too gun shy on new calls either, grey slate is still good it's just not what it was. I think the green slate being as good as it is also has made people think less of the grey. I also think the green has altered the current sound or turkey that some call makers are tuning to in their head and it has made their grey slate calls suffer as they're tuning them to a different turkey.

M,Yingling

Some slate does seem to be soft the slate on the top is what have always gotten in past and the slate on bottom is imo no good worked a striker on it and seems almost like a soap stone can see the white realy good just kind kills a call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Happy hooker

Oh boy,,we're driving up the prices on used longtime slates in the classified s  :gobble:

twyatt

I can't stand making slate calls anymore.  Everything I get is so inconsistent.  Thick, thin, looks like the picture Mike posted, out of round, etc.   Drives me nuts

BTH

Dustin Jones has a great video on his facebook page showing this exact same thing.
Phil 4:13

PEte_A

Interestingly the gray slate pots I've got from Eddie Wynne recently have amazing slate compared to other gray slates I've tried recently. Seems to be harder and requires VERY little conditioning. Lots of variability in what is out there.