OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: They Cracked!!!  (Read 3014 times)

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: They Cracked!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 11:36:27 AM »
Whatever the cause the maker should be able to put a new surface in the call unless the pot warped real bad. Timeline dependant on the maker

I broke a jimmy Shaffer pot once, not from wood movement, I fell on it. Not only did he still fix it for me he sent a loaner call 2 days later so I still had a mad hen to make it through season before he could get to the fix on mine the we swapped back.

That is what you call above and beyond service.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Gobblerstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 08:39:46 PM »
It sucks, but can happen to any glass/crystal and sometimes slate surface in a wood pot regardless of maker.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 11:02:01 PM »
The builder needs to at minimum turn the pots 2 times the first removing 80 percent of all material then letting it cup over time the finish turned and again checked for cupping and corrected if necessary.  This removes the majority of cracks but still may occur.

Offline PEPPERHEAD

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
The builder needs to at minimum turn the pots 2 times the first removing 80 percent of all material then letting it cup over time the finish turned and again checked for cupping and corrected if necessary.  This removes the majority of cracks but still may occur.
How long should they sit between turnings?

Offline mmclain

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
 Depends on the climate.  Behind a wood stove a week.  Oily woods months.  Best to just bring them inside the house climate for a few weeks.  You can measure across the face grain and end grain directions with a dial caliper and it will show the amount of shrinking/cupping.   If possible just rough a bunch in and let it sit as long as possible years even. 

Offline PEPPERHEAD

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »
The slate still sounds amazing.

Offline gdc23

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 06:11:12 PM »
Good to know, never have given this much thought. Is this more likely to happen with certain types of wood ?

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »
I hate to see or hear this .. haven't had one do this yet and i hope i don't ... thanks for sharing .. wood and moisture , don't do well together that's for sure..