turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another Vest Topic

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 18, 2020, 12:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

I'm still on my quest to find the perfect turkey hunting vest. I've tried multiple vests, including the nomad, alpz grand slam, mossy oak super elite, etc. None of them were just right in my opinion. Any suggestions?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

CALLM2U

What didn't you like about them and what are you looking for?

Soft seat, more pockets, kickstand ect

Greg Massey

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 18, 2020, 12:50:38 PM
I'm still on my quest to find the perfect turkey hunting vest. I've tried multiple vests, including the nomad, alpz grand slam, mossy oak super elite, etc. None of them were just right in my opinion. Any suggestions?
What are you exactly looking for in the perfect vest ?

StruttinGobbler3

Preferably something light and cool, as it can get hot in Georgia in turkey season. No pad or kickstand needed as I carry a gobbler lounger with me. Mostly the issues I've had were disliking the call pockets or their design. Looking for one with a good layout that will hold at least three pots and three strikers, one box call, mouth calls, a secure pocket for a couple of trumpets, and a large accessory pocket for gloves, facemask, box call chalk, etc.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

FL-Boss

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 18, 2020, 02:32:20 PM
Preferably something light and cool, as it can get hot in Georgia in turkey season. No pad or kickstand needed as I carry a gobbler lounger with me. Mostly the issues I've had were disliking the call pockets or their design. Looking for one with a good layout that will hold at least three pots and three strikers, one box call, mouth calls, a secure pocket for a couple of trumpets, and a large accessory pocket for gloves, facemask, box call chalk, etc.
Have you considered Satchel ?

StruttinGobbler3

I did look at the satchel made by Glenda that is promoted on here, and I'm afraid I just wouldn't like it. Strap cutting into my neck, bag bouncing off my leg all day, just doesn't seem to be for me.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

7shooter

I really like the lay out of the Primos Gen2 vest.  It has 4 pot call pockets which is a huge plus for me.

SteelerFan

I really like the Alps little bear w/ turkey attachment. I take it off when set up in the lounger. Great freedom that way. Just big enough to carry all the essentials/ water, thermocell, pruners, tote, paper towels, gloves, mask, etc.

See previous comments here: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,74308.0.html

https://youtu.be/stXNJegwaS0

MK M GOBL

So do you really need a "vest"? I ditched mine a while ago and don't miss it a bit. Trimmed down on what I carry and it's all I do anymore. I use a Hip Pack (not a fanny) I want it on my side so if I am Running & Gunning I can make a fast set, drop my seat and ready to go. I have used a Badlands Magnetic Hip Pack and last year I started using the Avian Sling Pack and liking it.

MK M GOBL

Big Jeremy

MK M GOBL mentioned the Avian sling pack...I purchased one on clearance toward the end of our season in TN last year from a local hunting store, and I like the setup of it. I took it deer hunting a few times to see how it wore, and if it bounced around and became bothersome, but I have had zero issues so far. Getting after turkeys can be a little different at times, with crawling into position and things like that, but I believe that it is going to be something that I really like judging from the limited experience that I have with it so far.

If you are committed to a traditional vest, I would recommend the K&H RNG models or the Cabela's tactical tat'r. Those are my favorite two out of way too many that I have tried over the years.