OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: looking for advice 1100 SP tubes and shells!!!  (Read 1579 times)

Offline rabbit59

looking for advice 1100 SP tubes and shells!!!
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:29:39 AM »
I own a Remington 1100 SP, 26" barrel and generic extra full tube. It accepts 3" shells. It patterns ok, not great. Thinking of upgrading the tube and maybe going to TSS or similar. Anyone shoot this gun and what advice do you have. Thanks in advance!!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: looking for advice 1100 SP tubes and shells!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »
My first turkey was killed with a regular 1100, 2 3/4 inch 1 1/2 ounce #5 lead and an X full choke.  The distance was 29 yards.  The bird fell over backwards, flopped twice and was dead on the spot.  Your 1100 with 3" shells should do a fine job killing turkeys as long as you do 2 things.  1. Pattern your gun at 10 yards for POA/POI issues and correct any issues and 2. Pattern your gun at 40 yards, with your shell of choice, to determine your max range.  Your gun, choke and shell combo should put 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards to be effective.  Keep your questions coming and Welcome to Old Gobbler!

Offline rabbit59

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »
Thanks for the welcome mat and advice....Ive been around the block as I'm 60 and have hunted since 12 years old. Not real up on this new turkey guns, loads, tubes, etc.... But, I'm like a sponge and like to learn new things. Keep it all coming people!!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:35:52 PM »
The 870 likes chokes in the .665 range.  I would say the 1100 should be about the same.  I would recommend some Winchester Longbeards in 3 inch in 5 or 6's with a .665 choke.  Indian Creek and Sumtoy are a couple that come to mind.  TSS is the latest and greatest if you want to spend $10 a pop for it.  IMO TSS is WAY OVERKILL in the 12 gauge.  If you are shooting the 20 or .410, it does a fine job.  Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in with their responses. 

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:44:43 AM »
665 would be a good place to start.  You should be able to run about any shell out of it.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:10 AM »
TSS is going to be the best you buy.  Like a lot of things it is not needed but once you use it and see the effects it has on birds at 40 yards then you will probably stick with it.  Many will say it is overkill but the truth is 3-1/2" shells are over kill and lots of turkeys have been killed with 2-3/4" shells.  If you want to play then go for it.  A 3" 1-3/4 - 2 oz load will be plenty with TSS and use the smallest shot your states legally allows.  If you decide to stick with a lead shell then the Longbeard 5s will be just fine, and a bit overkill.

I would also say the Remington 12 gauges seem to like that 665 or 660 choke.  I would try the 665 as suggested.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »
If you switch to TSS, you won't need to buy any new choke tubes. TSS will create stunning patterns from your
"generic extra full" choke tube as well as from a flush full choke tube. It is very forgiving of choke constriction unless you choke it too tightly. Best hunting patterns in the 12 ga usually come from choke tubes from .675 to .690. The plain Jane Remington XF tube is .687 and should do fine.

Or...you can spend several hundred dollars on half dozen after market choke tubes and any shell besides TSS, but you will have a hard time equaling a TSS load from a factory full choke.

Ben1100mag

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »
I have an 1100 sps 3 inch gun. It has a 665 choke in it and does well with 4 5 and 6 shot.