OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The New “Yukon Decoy Bag”

Started by YukonC, January 18, 2020, 10:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YukonC

Never shocking the lack of education out there. Keep it coming, it's entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Quote from: HookedonHooks on January 20, 2020, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: YukonC on January 20, 2020, 12:53:37 PM
Using PayPal function everyone is protected "buddy" no need for trolling.

The only trolling I see is someone wanting to sell decoys bags they "made" by piecing together a cheap milsurp bag and sling and adding two brass grommets for $50.

Good luck with your sales.
I tried to tell the guy in a pm before this happened lol. But as you can see he already knows everything.
FYI the bags are 6$ on eBay the grommets 8$ a dozen, straps 3-4$ and that's not even shopping for a deal. I can see making a little profit but not trying to fleece other turkey hunters.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

YukonC

Like I said in my responce I buy from only veteran owned companies and buy high quality straps and legitimate military issue bags. My profit would be $10 after shipping so once again if you want to make a cheap knockoff like Dakota did you DSD go ahead. I'm just offering up something that really works for a modest cost.

Spitten and drummen

Not trying to be rude but we could get the same stuff and make our own for a fraction of the price. Thats your business though and if people will buy them then thats great. Good luck with your endeavor.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: YukonC on January 20, 2020, 12:01:34 PM
Since I am seeing some interest, I will post something in the classifieds later tonight with more details. I'll start a list on the post with 10 slots once filled I'll request PayPal payments and then put in the order for materials.

:popcorn:

YukonC

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 20, 2020, 01:47:14 PM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on January 20, 2020, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: YukonC on January 20, 2020, 12:53:37 PM
Using PayPal function everyone is protected "buddy" no need for trolling.

The only trolling I see is someone wanting to sell decoys bags they "made" by piecing together a cheap milsurp bag and sling and adding two brass grommets for $50.

Good luck with your sales.
I tried to tell the guy in a pm before this happened lol. But as you can see he already knows everything.
FYI the bags are 6$ on eBay the grommets 8$ a dozen, straps 3-4$ and that's not even shopping for a deal. I can see making a little profit but not trying to fleece other turkey hunters.
Now that I am home from hunting I decided to entertain your logic and see if what you may be seeing are knock offs on eBay. I think I have found the $6 bags but you failed to mention that they are $9 shipping. I'm not sure if you have much attention to detail or not.

HookedonHooks

This guy may have came up with a great idea for a decoy bag, and if you want to pay him the $50 for his time in putting them together, and the materials, go ahead.

But for those interested in making one yourself to save yourself about $20. Here are links to authentic surplus items, and are shipped free for the price listed to your door.

US Barracks Bag - $6.95 (discount when multiple ordered)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372634889535

GI General Purpose strap - $9.99 (slightly more modern than OP's)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163585165899

Brass Grommet Kit - $14.99 (comes with tools necessary to set the grommet, and 50 grommets)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192589144394

So for $31.93 you can have all the items needed to "make" this decoy bag as well as have 48 extra grommets to make some for your buddies. The surplus bags and slings are discounted when purchased in multiples, and I would imagine these are available in most local surplus outlets for around the same cost.

YukonC

Quote from: HookedonHooks on January 20, 2020, 03:44:30 PM
This guy may have came up with a great idea for a decoy bag, and if you want to pay him the $50 for his time in putting them together, and the materials, go ahead.

But for those interested in making one yourself to save yourself about $20. Here are links to authentic surplus items, and are shipped free for the price listed to your door.

US Barracks Bag - $6.95 (discount when multiple ordered)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372634889535

GI General Purpose strap - $9.99 (slightly more modern than OP's)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163585165899

Brass Grommet Kit - $14.99 (comes with tools necessary to set the grommet, and 50 grommets)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192589144394

So for $31.93 you can have all the items needed to "make" this decoy bag as well as have 49 extra grommets to make some for your buddies. The surplus bags and slings are discounted when purchased in multiples, and I would imagine these are available in most local surplus outlets for around the same cost.
Correct! Only differences are that the bags I buy are new and unused and the strap for mine is better and both support disabled veteran organizations. Thanks for the legwork HookedonHooks.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: YukonC on January 20, 2020, 01:50:50 PM
My profit would be $10 after shipping ....  I'm just offering up something that really works for a modest cost.

I'm just trying to show you why this statement is incorrect, and why there is pushback from this.

The materials I listed to make 10 of these bags (the amount you set before you'd make an order to "make" the bags) vs. the price of $50 per bag.

Barracks Bag  x 10 @ $6.49 (cheaper for multiple through link) = $64.99
GI Gen Purpose Strap x 10 @ $9.99 = $99.99
Grommet Kit - $14.99 (still leaves 30 extra grommets) = $14.99
Total cost input = $179.97 vs Total revenue from orders = $500 (10 @ $50)
Cost of time/labor = ??? (Should take less than 5 minutes to set the two grommets in each bag, but gernerously will say 1 hour to make the 10 bags, and say you charge $50/hour)
Profit = $270.03 including getting paid labor time / divided by 10 bags that's $27 profit per bag.

See the issue, especially with you wanting people to pay upfront for the materials?

YukonC

No I don't because as I stated in my message to you that my profit is only $10 purchasing the products I used for my own bag.

Your not including tax or shipping.

In general businesses aim for 28.7-33.9 percent profit on products. I learned this while attaining my MBA.

The parts cost $32 for me to purchase with the standard priority shipping rate of $8 for a flat rate envelope that is $40 with a gain of $10 for my time and service. Get your calculator out.... that's 20 percent profit for the time it takes, which I would say with my OCD methods probably 15 minutes to install grommets, then package and ship. This wasn't a sale thread just an offering of what I have finally decided do. Your aggravation as intrigued me so this is why we are carrying on.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: YukonC on January 20, 2020, 04:20:57 PM
Your not including tax or shipping.

In general businesses aim for 28.7-33.9 percent profit on products. I learned this while attaining my MBA.
Those prices I listed are tax and shipping included. To your door, as I already said. The materials I listed are of the same quality you're using, just cheaper I suppose.

I did miss the shipping from your end to customer. You say $8 flat rate envelope, when you could easily ship it in the ground envelope for $5, or repurpose some cardboard to and send it ground for even less without buying their envelope. But knock $5 off your still $22 in the green on each bag (.44% PR btw).

Did you also learn whole attaining your MBA that it's a good business practice to have customers front the money for the COGS? ("Cost of Good Sold" in case they didn't teach you that)

YukonC

Of course I know of the practice, if you are ill informed this is done every day in the automobile industry. Also the steel making industry, well just about every major manufacturer. I would suggest looking for a local college to get an MBA it's really insightful. That's if you have a degree. And if you are a veteran please do not let your GI Bill go to waste However with how your talking, I am going to assume your not a veteran, we have this thing call integrity.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: YukonC on January 20, 2020, 04:39:28 PM
Of course I know of the practice, if you are ill informed this is done every day in the automobile industry. Also the steel making industry, well just about every major manufacturer. I would suggest looking for a local college to get an MBA it's really insightful. That's if you have a degree. And if you are a veteran please do not let your GI Bill go to waste However with how your talking, I am going to assume your not a veteran, we have this thing call integrity.
Glad you're comparing your decoy bag "making" business to that of major manufacturing. As insightful as an MBA is, it doesn't do you a lot of real world good. I was a business major from one of the best private universities in the country, and minored in pre-law and history. I know first hand what a business degree gets you, nada.

Good luck with your future endeavors and thank you for your service. I'm leaving it at that.

YukonC

Quote from: HookedonHooks on January 20, 2020, 04:47:28 PM
Glad you're comparing your decoy bag "making" business to that of major manufacturing. As insightful as an MBA is, it doesn't do you a lot of real world good. I was a business major from one of the best private universities in the country, and minored in pre-law and history. I know first hand what a business degree gets you, nada.

Good luck with your future endeavors and thank you for your service. I'm leaving it at that.
I'm sorry, I forgot to take a look at your profile and see your age. Your not old enough to have real world experiences yet. I was in the desert at your age.... Please do not discourage the importance of an advanced education to others. I went for a front line plant supervisor at a water treatment facility to State Director covering 8 plants to include their O&M budgets, Capital Budgets, Safety performances, KPIs etc. the MBA helped me immensely. I apologize everyone. I didn't realize I was having a discussion with an millennial, XYZ, or whatever gen kid this is.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: YukonC on January 20, 2020, 04:52:12 PM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on January 20, 2020, 04:47:28 PM

I'm sorry, I forgot to take a look at your profile and see your age. Your not old enough to have real world experiences yet. I was in the desert at your age.... Please do not discourage the importance of an advanced education to others. I went for a front line plant supervisor at a water treatment facility to State Director covering 8 plants to include their O&M budgets, Capital Budgets, Safety performances, KPIs etc. the MBA helped me immensely. I apologize everyone. I didn't realize I was having a discussion with an millennial, XYZ, or whatever gen kid this is.
My age has a lot to do with this discussion! Especially being you're hiding your age on your profile too!

Since were getting personal. Let me guess, you skipped a whole bunch of classes in undergrad, had bad grades and joined the military, only to get out and expect free higher education on the tax payers dime. You went and got an MBA because you can do "anything" with a business degree. It helped you immensely you say, but apparently not enough to to try and start a decoy bag "making" business and getting over on fellow turkey hunters.

You want to charge a premium for a quality hunting bag, start looking at handmade products like Glenda Green satchels and her other offerings. You could probably learn a thing or two from the old lady without an MBA.