turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Checkering

Started by ozarktroutbum, January 17, 2020, 07:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarktroutbum

How long has it been around? I don't know of anyone before Neil cost that did it, but that's not saying much

ozarktroutbum

Bump...do I need to post this somewhere else?

doublespurs21

I quess there is nobody here to help you out... I have no clue to your question,

Greg Massey

From what I've read about him, i would say he was the most instrumental in starting checkered boxes ...  you do the research and let us know what you find out ... his boxes have been copied by call builder more than anyone else...

ozarktroutbum

10-4 I'll do a little digging

Greg Massey

Quote from: ozarktroutbum on January 20, 2020, 11:53:26 PM
10-4 I'll do a little digging
I talk with Darrin Dawkins this morning and he said from his understanding that he did the first checkered boxes and boxes with Inlays ....

J Lacey

As a student of checkering I can add this. After an
In depth discussion with Lapp, he and I agree that the way Cost demonstrates the checkering process in his video would be near impossible to achieve nice results.  We are of the opinion that he wasn't gonna just hand everyone the keys to checkering. You'd have to work for it.  Mike nor myself use the Cost demo as a guide.   Just our thoughts.
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

Gobbler2577

Quote from: J Lacey on January 21, 2020, 05:04:02 PM
As a student of checkering I can add this. After an
In depth discussion with Lapp, he and I agree that the way Cost demonstrates the checkering process in his video would be near impossible to achieve nice results.  We are of the opinion that he wasn't gonna just hand everyone the keys to checkering. You'd have to work for it.  Mike nor myself use the Cost demo as a guide.   Just our thoughts.
And his books didnt provide the proper technique either in my opinion.  I dont necessarily blame him for keeping secrets, but as someone who was trying to learn back in the late 90's I sure got frustrated with his instruction.   

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

culpeper

Adding to Jeff's & Mike's input, I would agree with their assessment and just like Mike, Darin, Scott Baseshore and so many other great box call builders and now with new talent on board, it's largely up to the individual callmaker to "figure" it out on their own.  To try techniques, experiment, go deeper, go shallower, making decisions as to what will work best with the equipment at hand and the characteristics of the wood.  Simply checkering because checkering was/is done, or is effective is an exhibit of short-sighted understanding on the part of the callmaker.   'Looking deeper,' recording the changes that occur with various sizes, depths, angles and acknowledging the differences or similarities in wood species to improve the sound of the call, is IMO is fundamental and the BEST way for a callmaker to improve.
Scott

Happy hooker

I'm going to appreciate waffles more :happy0064:

ozarktroutbum

I tend to wonder if the checkering is more of a trademark or actually a characteristic of the tone/sound.

I think it's largely a trademark. Of course it effects the tone to an extent, however.

antnye

Any material removed from the sides will effect the tone and pitch.

ol bob

When  Mr Cost was asked by another call maker' that I know very well why he started checkering his boxes he said (because I can get $10.00 more for them). This was at the Unicoi show the first time he had them for sell.

Happy hooker

Personally I won't buy a shortbox that isn't checkered with the exception of Watkins fiddle boxes,,sitting under a tree with the sunlight gleaming off them it's just cool to have possession of. And nice contrasting inlays too their like racing stripes on a sports car.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy hooker on January 23, 2020, 04:50:34 PM
Personally I won't buy a shortbox that isn't checkered with the exception of Watkins fiddle boxes,,sitting under a tree with the sunlight gleaming off them it's just cool to have possession of. And nice contrasting inlays too their like racing stripes on a sports car.
Darrin Dawkins builds a non checkered box that's awesome also....