turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Should I switch to tss?

Started by RiverRoost, January 17, 2020, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrustyRusty

Should be good out to 100 with that pattern!

Quote from: YukonC on January 18, 2020, 08:16:13 AM
I just switched to 3 1/2" TSS. See why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Can`t argue with the effectiveness of TSS. It`s just a fact. Having said that, as far as lead loads are concerned and based on what I read, looks to me like the general consensus is that Winchester Longbeard XR leads the pack. It`s always been that and Hevi-13s #6 for me.

Gobble!

All in what you want. I wanted the best and wanted to load it myself to ensure quality control. From a killing stand point, at 40 yards your current setup will kill them without question.

Aholdren

Quote from: Old Timer on January 18, 2020, 09:08:52 AM
I guess im old and slow. Still using fed 3in #4. When i pull the trigger birds fold. I am experimenting with the Long Beard and like what i see. I do understand rolling your own tss has its advantage as you dont have to put up with manufacturer changing  something that works for you. I have a friend who uses tss in a muzzleloader shotgun patterns are unreal and look like they can reach from here to Canada. :fud: To each his own.Good luck on your decision.

Me exactly.......

mtns2hunt

Quote from: RiverRoost on January 17, 2020, 11:41:11 AM
Shooting a SX3 longbeard in 12ga with Rhino choke and nitro H518. Throws pretty good patterns putting around 265 in a 10" at 40. Need to order more shells but curious if it's worth making the switch to TSS from the H518? My opinion is the tss big benefit is to move to a smaller gauge. What are yalls thoughts if I'm sticking with my 12?

I think you should stick to the 12 and LB. That is what I have been shooting and what I took my first slam with. I do however have a TC encore 50 cal muzzle loader.

Just for chuckles I purchased a 20g Turkey barrel for it. Bought some Federal TSS (shoots very hot in my 20g) and killed two nice Turkeys. But I enjoy Coyote and cat hunting just as much so I thought TSS in the larger size would work well. Problem is I could not find any TSS larger than 7.5. Set myself up to hand load TSS in #9 and #4 for Turkey and Coyote. I knew the #9 would work on Turkeys but was blown away at how effective #4 proved on Coyotes or should I say coyote as I have only killed one with the 20g and TSS. That Coyote dropped like a stone at 53 yards. Have pretty much stopped using my rifles.

Currently set up to load #9 and #4 TSS in both 20 and 12 g. However, as LB works so well in the 12 I am holding off of loading TSS in the 12. Just seems to be overkill.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Reloader

Better performance from a more readily available ammo is never a bad thing.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Spurs Up on January 17, 2020, 07:45:49 PM
Quote from: CALLM2U on January 17, 2020, 12:06:32 PM
Others may disagree, but I feel like unless you're going to drop to 2 3/4 in a 12, there isn't really a need to use TSS.   TSS really shines with the smaller gauges.

I will agree and will add that TSS in 12 ga still outshines the smaller gauges on average when you drop down to 20 and 28 ga sized payloads (for example, 1-1/2 and 1-5/8 oz).  Problem is you'll be hard pressed to find those commercially. Pretty much have to use hand loads.

1.1/2 oz. & 1 5/8oz. loads are indeed very readily available in 20 gauge...and yes the 12s will put more pellets in "the 10" than a 20 or 28 gauge simply because OF the larger payload. But if you're putting 250+ in the 10 with a 20 and then the 12 puts 350+ in the 10, as effective as the TSS pellets are at penetration  aren't those 100+ extra pellets a waste? IMHO....ABSOLUTELY!!! Again, IMHO,IF a person wants to shoot a 12 with TSS loads any payload over 1 3/4 oz. (especially 9s) are a waste of pellets and money. The whole concept behind TSS is it's ability to let a person shoot a smaller gauge and lighter shotgun. Again....just my humble opinion.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: bbcoach on January 17, 2020, 12:18:49 PM
For most of us, we want the LATEST and GREATEST.  Many birds were killed with 2 3/4" lead #4's.  Then it was 3" and finally 3 1/2" lead.  When lead was trumped by Hevi-13, a lot of us jumped on the 13 train.  Then it was 15 and now TSS 18.  All of this, LATEST and GREATEST, cost us money.  What each of us have to do is decide, when do you stop the MADNESS.  I jumped to Hevi 13 and found a load that will do way more than I'll every need to kill a bird at a respectable distance and not break the bank.  For me, TSS is OVER KILL with 12 gauge ammo for turkey hunting.  With 20 or .410's, it levels the playing field with 12 gauges.  Only you can make that decision for you.  For me, Hevi is ALL I'll every need in my 12.  If I
go to a 20 someday, maybe TSS would be an option.

What you just said could not have been put into words any better!!! If the "bb" stands for basketball ,and you are the coach, and you coach as well as what you just put into words ,I'd bet my last dollar on your team every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!!

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: CALLM2U on January 17, 2020, 12:06:32 PM
Others may disagree, but I feel like unless you're going to drop to 2 3/4 in a 12, there isn't really a need to use TSS.   TSS really shines with the smaller gauges.

What he said ??times ALOT!!!

Turkeytider

Just as an aside in this discussion and FWIW. Hevi  13 does indeed include tungsten in the alloy that composes the shot. So, you are at least shooting SOME tungsten at a far lower price.

lowoctane

Quote from: RiverRoost on January 17, 2020, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on January 17, 2020, 12:18:49 PM
For most of us, we want the LATEST and GREATEST.  Many birds were killed with 2 3/4" lead #4's.  Then it was 3" and finally 3 1/2" lead.  When lead was trumped by Hevi-13, a lot of us jumped on the 13 train.  Then it was 15 and now TSS 18.  All of this, LATEST and GREATEST, cost us money.  What each of us have to do is decide, when do you stop the MADNESS.  I jumped to Hevi 13 and found a load that will do way more than I'll every need to kill a bird at a respectable distance and not break the bank.  For me, TSS is OVER KILL with 12 gauge ammo for turkey hunting.  With 20 or .410's, it levels the playing field with 12 gauges.  Only you can make that decision for you.  For me, Hevi is ALL I'll every need in my 12.  If I go to a 20 someday, maybe TSS would be an option.

:morning:  Well, I'm going to proclaim the virtues of Long Beard ammo. My guns all shoot it extremely well and I continue to hammer birds at my usual distances with no issues...

My thoughts exactly I guess I just needed to hear somebody else say it!ha
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

howl

If I were using a 12ga I'd still use lead shot. But, I'm not trying to kill any further than I ever did.

BobbyD835

I understand the patterning of the tss, but does it have the knock down power as regular lead?

howl

Not knockdown, no. Lead hits them hard when you center the pattern. You can see it. TSS patterns are so dense they just perforate the nervous system such that the bird simply collapses on the spot.

longislandloco

Use what works for YOU........After almost 55 years I'm still with my original favorite, 2 3/4", 1 1/2oz #6 or #5, now in a Benelli Nova, Star Dot choke, .665.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe