OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I switch to tss?

Started by RiverRoost, January 17, 2020, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Shooting a SX3 longbeard in 12ga with Rhino choke and nitro H518. Throws pretty good patterns putting around 265 in a 10" at 40. Need to order more shells but curious if it's worth making the switch to TSS from the H518? My opinion is the tss big benefit is to move to a smaller gauge. What are yalls thoughts if I'm sticking with my 12? 

davisd9

Stick with what you are using if it is working for you and you are happy.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

CALLM2U

Others may disagree, but I feel like unless you're going to drop to 2 3/4 in a 12, there isn't really a need to use TSS.   TSS really shines with the smaller gauges. 

bbcoach

For most of us, we want the LATEST and GREATEST.  Many birds were killed with 2 3/4" lead #4's.  Then it was 3" and finally 3 1/2" lead.  When lead was trumped by Hevi-13, a lot of us jumped on the 13 train.  Then it was 15 and now TSS 18.  All of this, LATEST and GREATEST, cost us money.  What each of us have to do is decide, when do you stop the MADNESS.  I jumped to Hevi 13 and found a load that will do way more than I'll every need to kill a bird at a respectable distance and not break the bank.  For me, TSS is OVER KILL with 12 gauge ammo for turkey hunting.  With 20 or .410's, it levels the playing field with 12 gauges.  Only you can make that decision for you.  For me, Hevi is ALL I'll every need in my 12.  If I go to a 20 someday, maybe TSS would be an option.

RiverRoost

Quote from: bbcoach on January 17, 2020, 12:18:49 PM
For most of us, we want the LATEST and GREATEST.  Many birds were killed with 2 3/4" lead #4's.  Then it was 3" and finally 3 1/2" lead.  When lead was trumped by Hevi-13, a lot of us jumped on the 13 train.  Then it was 15 and now TSS 18.  All of this, LATEST and GREATEST, cost us money.  What each of us have to do is decide, when do you stop the MADNESS.  I jumped to Hevi 13 and found a load that will do way more than I'll every need to kill a bird at a respectable distance and not break the bank.  For me, TSS is OVER KILL with 12 gauge ammo for turkey hunting.  With 20 or .410's, it levels the playing field with 12 gauges.  Only you can make that decision for you.  For me, Hevi is ALL I'll every need in my 12.  If I go to a 20 someday, maybe TSS would be an option.

My thoughts exactly I guess I just needed to hear somebody else say it!ha

davisd9

Only reason I went to reloading TSS from shooting Hevi 6s is because I was tired of chasing lot numbers and I was tired of paying more for less.  I dropped to the 20 when doing it those years ago and I felt silly not to have done it sooner.  If not for Hevi scamming people I would have never switched.  If you are happy with what you are paying and the results you are getting then I see not need to change as I already stated.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bbcoach

Quote from: RiverRoost on January 17, 2020, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on January 17, 2020, 12:18:49 PM

My thoughts exactly I guess I just needed to hear somebody else say it!ha
This thread holds TRUE with every item, we as consumers, purchase.  I was happy with my old flip cellphone but after it died I went to a cheap android, now the latest and greatest is a $1200 cell with all the bells and whistles and people have to have them as soon as they come out.  Same for TV's, 4K, 8K and huge screens.  This will never stop!

Greg Massey

Quote from: CALLM2U on January 17, 2020, 12:06:32 PM
Others may disagree, but I feel like unless you're going to drop to 2 3/4 in a 12, there isn't really a need to use TSS.   TSS really shines with the smaller gauges.
X2 i agree ... just stick with what your using in the 12 ga.

2eagles

I'm switching to a 20 this year even though I've been pretty happy with the results from my 12. See my 12 has been my do it all shotgun, a Browning Silver in duckblind camo with a 28" barrel and an extended choke tube. In other words a turkey killing machine that's heavy and very long. I'm going lighter and easier to manage in the woods and in my blind. If I'm not happy with my new 20, I've got 5 1/2 grandkids and I know one of them would be happy with a new 870 compact.

Spurs Up

I will agree and will add that TSS in 12 ga still outshines the smaller gauges on average when you drop down to 20 and 28 ga sized payloads (for example, 1-1/2 and 1-5/8 oz).  Problem is you'll be hard pressed to find those commercially. Pretty much have to use hand loads.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 17, 2020, 01:01:32 PM
X2 i agree ... just stick with what your using in the 12 ga.

X3. TSS has revolutionized sub gauge shooting and if I were switching to a 20 there wouldn`t be any question.

YukonC

I just switched to 3 1/2" TSS. See why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

I guess im old and slow. Still using fed 3in #4. When i pull the trigger birds fold. I am experimenting with the Long Beard and like what i see. I do understand rolling your own tss has its advantage as you dont have to put up with manufacturer changing  something that works for you. I have a friend who uses tss in a muzzleloader shotgun patterns are unreal and look like they can reach from here to Canada. :fud: To each his own.Good luck on your decision.

trkehunr93

I tried TSS in Fed. and Apex and was impressed with the results, especially the Fed. thru a full choke.  Like others have said, shoot what you like, lead, hevi or TSS.  As long as you take the time to know your guns limitations and stay within that your good regardless. 

Old Timer

Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 18, 2020, 09:17:06 AM
I tried TSS in Fed. and Apex and was impressed with the results, especially the Fed. thru a full choke.  Like others have said, shoot what you like, lead, hevi or TSS.  As long as you take the time to know your guns limitations and stay within that your good regardless. 

I agree, Well said!