OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Major problem with Longbeard shells!!!  (Read 13058 times)

Offline smh

Major problem with Longbeard shells!!!
« on: January 17, 2020, 07:17:59 AM »
I have been shooting these shells since they were introduced with great performance, until this week  (12 gauge, 3-1/2”, 1200 FPS, 2 OZ. #5 shot). I was shooting my usual JellyHead .660 choke).

I sighted in a new scope and four shots at 40 yards using shells I bought probably three years ago shot 178, 174, 166, and 173 in 10 inches.

Satisfied with my usual results and having only two if these shells left, I opened a box of three I purchased last year and shot three from only 35 yards and was shocked with the pellet density. These new shells recorded 75, 73, and 90–very disappointing (last shot was with JH .665).

I dissected one of the new shells and everything looked good—#5 shot, slightly over 2 oz.

The pattern density was measured at the densest 10” and was on a 30” square of paper. The difference was obvious immediately without any measurement.

Any ideas?

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Major problem with Longbeard shells!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 07:47:36 AM »
Was the resin intact in the shell or was it shattered?
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline smh

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
The resin was intact. There were only two or three loose pellets at the top of the wad. Also of interest is that the pattern center was the same as the older shells, but I was shocked at the VERY POOR density.

These are some of the poorest performing turkey loads I have shot. There has to be some explanation. Since my supply of the older shells is so low, I didn’t dissect one of them, but will probably do so.

I did notice that the resin was present between the shot cup and the shell, but I suspect this is normal. I plan to shoot some in another 3-1/2” gun, hopefully this weekend. I have three boxes of these, all with the same lot number.

I also reported the problem via Winchester’s website, so hopefully I will receive a reply.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
What was the outdoor temp?
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline smh

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 09:49:05 AM »
Temperature was 70 degrees.

I am beginning to think it was a problem with the resin not shattering. My patterning paper was actually 36” square. I plan to shoot at closer distance  (25-30 yards) to see if there is a major part of the shot load remaining intact that is missing the paper at 35 yards. If so, it points to a problem with the resin with that lot number as the problem was evident with all three shots from that box and with two different choke tubes.

I did notice the resin was VERY hard to break with the point of a knife blade in the shell I opened, though that may be normal.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 10:02:50 AM »
I do not know then.  All the issues I have heard with the longbeards have been resin shattered in the shell before shot or the temps being low and the resin not releasing all the shot.  There has also been issues with the plastic OSC breaking in magazines but that has nothing to do with this. Hope you can get it figured out and tell us your findings.

Offline Fl strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 10:31:27 AM »
I had some that didnt shatter the resin and shot like a slug at 40 yards on paper and had maybe 20 pellets around it.

Offline smh

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
Still no answers! It appears the shot is all hitting the paper, but the patterns continue to be TERRIBLE!

Following are the numbers (in densest 10” circle) from today:

20 yards—154, 193
25 yards—116

Numbers from original post:
35 yards—73, 75, 90

The patterns are very scattered beyond 20 yards. I was hoping and thinking I would see a large “clump” at the closer ranges indicating problem with resin not shattering, but I did not.

I also shot a 3” Longbeard #5 from 40 yards and had 138.

I have three new boxes on order. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »
I like to know how this turns out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:13 PM »
Sorry for the stupid question, are you guys talking about the Winchester Longbear XR's? I had this with a shot from them last year
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline smh

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 07:56:23 PM »
Yes, that is the shell, but mine all look normal. Additionally, I measured and weighed the shot load from one of the shells and they measured .120 (#5) and weighed slightly over 2 oz including the buffer.

The problem is, as evidenced by the numbers in my posts, is the patterns are terrible. I shot them from 20-35 yards and the best of the three 35 yard shots is half what I am accustomed to at 40 yards. I have shot this load exclusively since these shells were introduced and have never had a performance problem until this week.

I sent a request to Winchester via their website and am hoping they will respond.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »
Yes, that is the shell, but mine all look normal. Additionally, I measured and weighed the shot load from one of the shells and they measured .120 (#5) and weighed slightly over 2 oz including the buffer.

The problem is, as evidenced by the numbers in my posts, is the patterns are terrible. I shot them from 20-35 yards and the best of the three 35 yard shots is half what I am accustomed to at 40 yards. I have shot this load exclusively since these shells were introduced and have never had a performance problem until this week.

I sent a request to Winchester via their website and am hoping they will respond.
Mine all looked normal too, those pictures are from after I shot that shell. Only that shell gave me an issue.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 07:39:26 AM »
Guess it's finally time to start chasing the good lot numbers for WW LBs. :angel9:

And that, in a nutshell, is why I handload. They are always the same.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 08:54:43 PM »
I had high hopes for them after all the good feedback I heard on them,but tried them last spring and didn't even bother to count. Pattern was horrible.
Be glad you patterned and didn't just run out hunting with them.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
I would try a different choke tube first or at the very least try a different type shell in that same tube. 665 range might do better than .660 with that heavy load of 5 shot.