turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

any Beretta over and under guys? tss?

Started by TheSportsman, January 15, 2020, 07:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I've got a 28" Beretta 686 onyx that is my baby for turkey hunting. Been shooting rhino 660 and rhino 680 with nitro hevi 3" 4x5x7. Looking at going TSS in it. Stick with same chokes or do I need to go another route? Was thinking about apex 2oz load of 9s. Any input? Doesn't seem like I see the rhino love with the TSS

wchadw

I shoot a 20 gauge o/u. In my looser choke for under 25 yards I don't shoot TSS. Use a #7 pheasant load. TSS patterns too tight a closer ranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

I shoot a 686 UL with 28" barrel. It has 2.75" chambers and is very light so I shoot 2.75", 1&5/8 oz, 8.5 x 9 handloads through a Sumtoy .675 waterfowl choke with excellent results (283/10, 196/10-20 which is 51% of the payload in 10").

I sent back a ST .680 and a ST .665. The .675 I'm shooting outshoots a PG .670 as well. So for the load I am shooting, .675 seems to be the ticket in the tight Beretta bore (.722). I imagine the Rhino .680 will do well with 2 oz, but guessing the .660 is going to be overchoked.

Bowguy

I've got a few 686s, some citoris, a fabarms max lion, etc etc I understand your ou attachment believe me. Here's a question though. I always said I was gonna set up a gun but turkey hunting is a one shot sport almost always. Why the 2 right constructions? Why not have one set up relatively open for close shots.

wchadw

Quote from: Bowguy on January 20, 2020, 12:58:14 PM
I've got a few 686s, some citoris, a fabarms max lion, etc etc I understand your ou attachment believe me. Here's a question though. I always said I was gonna set up a gun but turkey hunting is a one shot sport almost always. Why the 2 right constructions? Why not have one set up relatively open for close shots.

my thoughts exactly.  i have my 20 setup with a 562 that i shoot TSS out of for "long shot's" over 25ish yards
for "close" 25 and under (which is the majority) i shoot a 585 with pheasant 7 shot which is much cheaper per shell.  patterns at 25 and under yards with TSS and a tight choke the pattern is way too tight. looks like a hole the size of a softball at 10 yards.  i prefer a pattern the size of a basketball.  this is the reason i switched to the o/u with 2 different chokes.  i had actually missed a bird at 5 yards or so with TSS and a super tight choke.  i wondered how in the hell i missed the bird so close with at shotgun?? well i patterned the gun at 5 yards and it looked like a slug had shot the target

Bowguy

I've got slso I think it's a 685. It's a 20 w extractors I bought 36 years ago and it's got fixed tubes.  Haven't bought a beretta in a bit what do the other numbers signify?

wchadw

Quote from: TheSportsman on January 15, 2020, 07:59:51 PM
I've got a 28" Beretta 686 onyx that is my baby for turkey hunting. Been shooting rhino 660 and rhino 680 with nitro hevi 3" 4x5x7. Looking at going TSS in it. Stick with same chokes or do I need to go another route? Was thinking about apex 2oz load of 9s. Any input? Doesn't seem like I see the rhino love with the TSS
Might try a sumtoy 660 in one with tss 9s? I have had excellent results with his chokes.
I'd stay with nitro heavy in 680 if it patterns good at 10-20 yards

BandedSpur

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: Bowguy on January 20, 2020, 12:58:14 PM

Agreed. I experimented a lot with cyl and IC chokes with Pb 7.5s and 7s. They do give very open and forgiving patterns up close but run out of pattern density at 20 and 25 yds respectively. My ultimate solution was to load 1.625 oz for the long range Sumtoy choked barrel and a very light 1.25 oz load of reclaimed TSS 9s through a lt mod barrel for the close stuff. It has a very forgiving pattern but still retains killing patterns to 40 yds with very light recoil.

wchadw

Quote from: Bowguy on January 20, 2020, 02:33:06 PM
I've got slso I think it's a 685. It's a 20 w extractors I bought 36 years ago and it's got fixed tubes.  Haven't bought a beretta in a bit what do the other numbers signify?
Not sure but if you want to use removable chokes call Sumtoy. He can thread the barrels

Bowguy

Quote from: wchadw on January 23, 2020, 08:36:07 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 20, 2020, 02:33:06 PM
Not sure but if you want to use removable chokes call Sumtoy. He can thread the barrels

Thanks. That's not my intent. When I bought it I coulda had ejectors n threaded barrels or the fixed barrels n extractors. I went for the standard gun as I pick up all my empties and to be honest never use anything but the same chokes even in threaded barrel guns.
The ejectors dont really matter as I open gun n catch empties anyhow.