OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question about direction  (Read 3268 times)

Offline randy6471

Re: Question about direction
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »
   Hey Bowguy...sorry for your situation, especially when hearing is such an important part of what we all love to do, but I must say I really admire your perspective/outlook.

It’s pretty easy to find something to complain about or a reason to feel sorry for ourselves, but all we need to do is to take a look around and it’s not hard to find someone that’s worse off than we are.

A couple years ago I lost a long time turkey hunting buddy to cancer at only 53 years old. Over the years we hunted together alot, both at home, as well as trips to other parts of the country and we spent many, many mornings together, out listening for the first gobble of the day. Now I think of him often, especially while waiting for that first bird to sound off....and wish he could hear just one more gobble.

I don’t post a ton on here, but I read a lot and the one thing that I’ve noticed is that there are many hunters on this forum (including myself) that are lucky enough to spend MANY days, sometimes in multiple states, chasing spring gobblers every year.....we should try to cherish every day we get to do it!

But to your situation, I have another buddy that I hunt with quite often who has poor hearing and like you, he especially has trouble with direction. We work around it by.....

1. Relying more on my ears.
  2. When possible, we set up shoulder to shoulder, so we can whisper to each other.
  3. His left ear is his strong ear, so I always walk and sit to his left. He shoots lefty and I shoot right, so when sitting together it works good anyway to cover the most area.
  4. If we can’t/don’t sit right together, he sits where he can keep a close eye on me. If I shift or adjust my gun, he knows that I either see or hear something, so focuses toward that area as well.
  5. We have some subtle hand signals and I use some specific hen talk on a mouth call to let him know if I hear something behind us or if I hear a gobbler drumming. (which he can rarely hear)

Sorry for the long post, but keep up the positive attitude and you will make out just fine.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:54:46 PM by randy6471 »

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 08:55:50 PM »
I understand I lost the hearing in my left ear in the Army. I usually just try to get a general direction and start moving generally in that direction. I usually have to call a little more than most until I know I am definitely on the right track. I can usually get a general direction and just hope I can keep him gobbling for a little bit. I know this goes against what a lot of people do but I try to haul a** in that direction so I have to call less and make any corrections if needed.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2020, 01:59:58 AM »
I'm not sure how "techy" you are, but this was an interesting subject that I dove into a few years back...just a hair-brained idea that I never tried, but Acoustic Location or Sound Triangulation has been around for a long time, but just recently, technology has become sort of "mobile". 

It would take some serious time and determination, but I honestly think you could get something out of this if you really wanted to get something that could work.  Again, this was just a quick google search, but this guy really seems to be going in the right direction...could be something to revolutionize the hunting world too. :anim_25:

https://hackaday.com/2011/05/10/diy-sound-localization-sensor/

That was interesting. Idk if it be practical but it’s def got possibilities

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2020, 02:05:42 AM »
I actually practice trying to pin point sound. When I run dogs, when they’re working even they could be close or far (there’s no issue figuring how far btw) but I try n pin point then by volume. I believe it could be getting ever so slightly better. I’ll guess where I think they are than glance ar my gps collars remote. It points right at em. Again the difference is barking or bells jangling are more constant than a quick turkey gobble.
Thank you again guys