OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question about direction  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Question about direction
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
As many know I’ve had a medical issue. It made me completely deaf in one ear. It’s a little frustrating at times. At night my girl comes w me to help roost birds. I can’t tell direction.
When I run hounds or even deer hunt the steady sound of barking or walking of hooves in leaves allows me to turn my head n see where it’s the loudest. GPS collars on dogs point direction.
Gobbling birds can be tough.  By the time I start moving the gobble is over and often I don’t feel I can move. There’s prob no solution besides what I’m doing and to be honest I’m glad I’m doing it but if anyone has any ideas let me know.
Btw Hearing enhancers can’t work. My hearing nerve was crushed.
Thanks for any ideas

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Question about direction
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 08:59:31 AM »
Take a compass bearing to the bird when he first gobbles and estimate the distance. Take you time and when you get close to where he was just sit and see if you can work him. Once you figure out if you can move , take another and repeat. Its just an idea. Hope maybe that helps.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline DerekDixon

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
I have hearing loss in my right ear,  can’t hear certain frequencies, I use the Howard light impact ear muffs. They have microphones on the front or can be on the rear depending on how you put them on they seam to amplify on the side the sound is coming from. Helps me with direction listening to them gobble. Helps more with the hens in the morn but have been using them for about the last 5 years.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
Take a compass bearing to the bird when he first gobbles and estimate the distance. Take you time and when you get close to where he was just sit and see if you can work him. Once you figure out if you can move , take another and repeat. Its just an idea. Hope maybe that helps.
The compass bearing can’t happen. I have zero idea out of 360 degrees which way it is. Being totally deaf in one ear I can’t triangulate at all

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:08:05 AM »
I have hearing loss in my right ear,  can’t hear certain frequencies, I use the Howard light impact ear muffs. They have microphones on the front or can be on the rear depending on how you put them on they seam to amplify on the side the sound is coming from. Helps me with direction listening to them gobble. Helps more with the hens in the morn but have been using them for about the last 5 years.
It’s not a partial loss. It’s totally completely deaf. That’s my prob

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 10:18:43 AM »
Wow buddy. I just think maybe you are just gonna have to just deal with it. I hate it for you and know thats got to be terrible. Hard enough to course a bird with 2 good ears sometimes much less with one. Good luck.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »
The compass bearing can’t happen. I have zero idea out of 360 degrees which way it is. Being totally deaf in one ear I can’t triangulate at all

Years ago my very good hunting buddy lost his hearing in one ear, and like you could not triangulate. We hunted together way more often after that happened so I did the pointing and we tag teamed a lot of birds. So your best option may be what you are doing at night, and hook up with someone who enjoys your company and hunt as a team.

After all was said and done, in hindsight I'd rather have had those mornings with him than to have hunted alone. Miss my buddy and mornings with him stand out way more than mornings on my own during that time.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:59:36 AM »
Bring a buddy with good hearing that likes shooting doubles with you.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
Thanks boxcall. It’s pretty much exactly what I’m doing. Jrrodc n I did a bit last year our ratio was really high. We doubled 2 out of 3 times out on long beards. We called in another long beard the other day. Just wondering if there was anything else. I kinda knew there wasn’t but it was worth a try.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »
Thanks again guys

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 11:04:24 AM »
A pic of last years doubles w Jrrodc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 11:04:45 AM »
The other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
That is tough, hearing being one of the most important tools in Turkey hunting. I don’t have the answer but if you haven’t read Herb McClure’s book “Native  Turkeys “ he has a similar hearing problem and was determined not to let it stop him. Good luck and persevere

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:06 AM »
Doesn’t stop me either. Thank you

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 12:07:46 PM »
Thanks boxcall. It’s pretty much exactly what I’m doing. Jrrodc n I did a bit last year our ratio was really high. We doubled 2 out of 3 times out on long beards. We called in another long beard the other day. Just wondering if there was anything else. I kinda knew there wasn’t but it was worth a try.

:icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer