OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thinking about trying a scope  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Charlie 51

Re: Thinking about trying a scope
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
Get the best scope with the best eye relief. 3 1/2 turkey loads are brutal..just asked my son. Scope will dot your eye sooner are later..I went back to hi viz sites for that reason.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
Agreed, the 3.5 inch 1300 FPS loads kick like a mule. I ironically posted info this morning on my scope set up that I put on my Super Black Eagle Steady grip. The main focus is you have to use very solid well made scope rings. I finally found rings that handle these heavy hitting turkey loads. The Burris Extreme Tactical Rings do the job. The attached picture shows the set up. The scope is a Nikon Shotgun scope. It is sighted in for the 3.5 inch Fed Heavyweight 1300 FPS #6. Rob Roberts 660 Choke throws a nice even pattern. The choke is non-ported. Thank you....
“Solo hunter”

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 02:09:29 PM »
I'm not sure if they discontinued them or not, but i have been using a bushnell dusk til dawn (1.75 to 4.5 i think) The model i am using has a full 6" of eye relief, and the end of the scope is even with the rear end of the receiver on my vinci. Great field of view on low power and circle x crosshair. No worries about scope eye with it. Like the other posters said, get the most eye relief you can!

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 03:09:49 PM »
After eye surgery my cataracts aged gonna have to have surgery ff3 is what I have and making do
But I can use a scope so I am also in the market for one
I like sir diealot Leopold but will consider other rite now looking real hard. My m2is only setup with 2 screws in receiver so I really in a jamb lol

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 03:18:55 PM »
I had a macular hole fixed in my dominant eye last year. A biproduct of the surgery is cataract surgery. I had both, vision is back 100%. I use both a red dot, and scope. The scope at 3.5 power is fantastic, clear as a whistle. Good luck.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 12:42:29 AM »
I have a Long discontinued Lepold VariX-II 2-7x33mm shotgun scopes mounted on two of my 870s for use as dedicated turkey guns. Had to make the transition from fiber optic irons to scopes due to my eye sight changing.

Been using scopes for 4 seasons and are very happy. YES there is a slight trade off in being more difficult in picking up fast moving or running birds who you have spooked after they were in range, but EVERY other long gun I own is scoped so putting one on my turkey gun was a natural transition. 

Last year I came upon a deal on Sig Romeo-5's for $90 W/shipping so I bought two one for each of my sons turkey guns and they love them and are perfectly suited for use on turkey guns and are in my opinion superior to iron sights.

Only way you will know is give a scope a try, but be sure to do a enough practice shooting with one while seated to be totally comfortable using one.