OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thinking about trying a scope  (Read 3529 times)

Offline lmbunch69

Thinking about trying a scope
« on: January 14, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »
Opinions on the 1-4 leupolds? Halfway thinking about trying to find one just not sure about a scope on a shotgun. What are the pros and cons to a scope on a turkey gun

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Thinking about trying a scope
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:27:36 AM »
I have one and really like it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 06:53:39 AM »
Haven't used the Leupold but my Bushnell has been flawless for better than 20 years! Would'nt go any other way, plus been great for the kis/newbies I mentor, gives them an exact point of aim.

MK M GOBL

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »
Can’t comment on the leupold as I have a bushnell red/green dot that I am happy with. Would recommend a scope for a shotgun. With tight patterns definitely helps with consistency and accuracy.especially with newbies/youth( as MK M G mentioned ) who may not have done a lot of shooting with a shotgun

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
I shot a Simmon Pro-diamond for a handful of years and really liked it.  I have it stowed away if I ever decide to use one again.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »
This shows what the reticle looks like on the Leupold turkey plex.

IMG_0604 (3)_LI by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 09:29:40 PM »
If you have never had a scope on a turkey gun before I would maybe try the Simmons Pro-Diamond. I have three of them, 2 4x and one 2x. They do a good job for the money and can be found for 50-60 dollars on e-bay and sometimes on here. Good turkey scopes and handle the recoil just fine.

Offline lmbunch69

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:03:08 PM »
I was going to ask that as well. I shoot 3.5s and was curious if anybody's had an issue with a particular scope vs recoil. Also, I found a weaver 1x20 power today. It's a rifle scope but I'd think it would work?

Offline Rick

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 09:03:22 AM »
 I have always shot open sights so my question is  ,  what are the advantages of a scope over a Fast Fire 3 ???
Saved By Grace

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
I was going to ask that as well. I shoot 3.5s and was curious if anybody's had an issue with a particular scope vs recoil. Also, I found a weaver 1x20 power today. It's a rifle scope but I'd think it would work?

I shot an 835 with 3.5" Hevi 6s for 4-5 yrs and that Simmons never skipped a beat.  Had it on a 20 gauge 500 a couple years also and she did her job every time.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 11:07:29 AM »
I have always shot open sights so my question is  ,  what are the advantages of a scope over a Fast Fire 3 ???

I think it is more personal liking more than advantage vs disadvantage.  I tried the Red Dots and I just hated them.  Did not like the sight picture and worried about it getting banged up.  I think it is more just a personal preference more than anything else.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »
do not try and shoot a rifle scope with 3 1/2 turkey loads. Sooner or later you will get scope eyed. Maybe severely and probably sooner than later. The only scopes I had trouble with were two Tasco Bantams that broke on me and this was on 20 gauges. Also, the screws in the scope base broke on one 12 gauge I had. I was shooting 3 inch Federal Grand slams at the time. The heavier scope broke the screws off in the receiver. I had it re tapped with bigger screws and not a problem since.
Also, as to your original question, I have been happy with every Leupold product I have ever owned.

Offline badwolf

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 03:58:30 PM »
I'd get that 1x weaver,  i have a 1x vortex muzzleloader scope and love the wide field of view.  You can shoot with both eyes open. I like it better than my Leopold 2x7 turkey scope cause even 2x seems big and field of view is less

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 06:01:05 PM »
I was "scope curious" like you a few years ago and mounted a 3x9x40 deer scope I had laying around on a single barrel 10 gauge just to try. I was nervous the first time I touched one off and made sure I had lots of eye relief.Killed 2 birds with it and fell in love with a crosshair scope on my turkey guns and then bought a leupold freedom 2-7x32 as the permanent scope.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 09:03:54 PM »
I would buy the leupold and wouldn't look back.
I bought my Son a FF2 that he really likes. I think with Poa/Poi issues people have its one less headache when using some type of sighting device.