OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TURKEY FANNING & REAPING, NOT LEGAL IN ALL STATES  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: TURKEY FANNING & REAPING, NOT LEGAL IN ALL STATES
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »
This just grinds my gears. You should be able to kill a dang Turkey anyway you want to without someone telling you how to do it!
What difference does it make as long as the turkey is dead isn’t that the whole point? Legal or not immoral, unsportsmanlike as long as you kill something it’s ok in my book!

Seems to be a popular theme for the last few years.  With this however I'll be glad when the turkey community admits and accepts this isn't strategy and it isn't a tactic, this is leveraging the kill and using turkey biology against him to a level that's no longer sport.  And sure shouldn't be considered sport by someone who supposedly cares about Wild Turkeys and their hunting and conservation.  Friends don't let friends reap turkeys

This is the problem. Sporting aspects aren’t even known to the newer generation. . It means more when you earn something. Along the lines initially stated just get some in a trap n shoot em. Dead turkey is a dead turkey. Some guys don’t know what they don’t know

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »
Wow I didn’t realize there were so many saints on the forum....next thing you know baiting will be looked down on.
I got about $2500.00 tied up in tent blinds not to mention another $1500.00 in decoys if you think ima give up baiting and tent blind sitting your crazy. You really expect me to walk around in the woods....on my feet with no motorized vehicle?  I use a fan going and coming to my stand and if I’m lucky enough to shoot a turkey hen/gobbler/Jake on the way to my stand and save me from having to sit in my blind for two whole hours so much the better. The sooner I can get back to my couch and TV the better.
     All you “public land only” hero’s with your “all I use is a call and gun” make me sick. I’m not about to go stomping around in the woods all hours of the day and taking a chance of getting lost or blisters or who knows what out there in the dark wilderness. Give me a tent blind in a cut corn field, two dozen decoys and I’ll show you a Facebook page that will make anybody jealous.

Like I said the man doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. No way many guys would consider anything you mention hunting. Certainly it’d not make em jealous.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »
I should say before anyone gets ruffled cause it’s hard to tell from written words. Anything legal is ok for someone to do imo. I def don’t agree w it, don’t consider it sporting, but that’s my opinion. If someone needs to use these methods to feel their time was well spent, so be it. Respect from others would not be reassured. Hope guys understand that.
Gonna give a for instance. Years back my buddy went pheasant hunting w a fellow. They walked into a hollow, the fella tells my buddy get ready, dog is birdy.
The dog never made game until they got near this milk crate. Inside was a pheasant, rocked asleep, w a milk crate and cinder block on that.
So imagine guys being envious over this bird. Btw they woke em, missed em. Point is, dead is dead in a hero pic. Maybe to some guys. I’d just think of it as something they need to prove to themselves.
Guess we all hunt for dif reasons

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
Good news and article. I hope all the states make it illegal. As many of you know I can testify what happens when some one abandons
 all rules of safe hunting just for a chance to shoot a turkey or if they make a bad choice another hunter. A damn turkey isn't worth dying, injuring
 or killing someone over. I will live the rest of my life with the results of a bad choice, I hope you never do.

I was thinking about using scent. What type did you get and how did you use it?

Bowguy......I don't understand this post, I was talking about getting shot, how does scent work into this? I hope you weren't making fun of me getting shot and almost dying. I'm going to assume this was a mistaken quote, at least I hope so.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 03:11:26 PM »
Good news and article. I hope all the states make it illegal. As many of you know I can testify what happens when some one abandons
 all rules of safe hunting just for a chance to shoot a turkey or if they make a bad choice another hunter. A damn turkey isn't worth dying, injuring
 or killing someone over. I will live the rest of my life with the results of a bad choice, I hope you never do.

I was thinking about using scent. What type did you get and how did you use it?

Bowguy......I don't understand this post, I was talking about getting shot, how does scent work into this? I hope you weren't making fun of me getting shot and almost dying. I'm going to assume this was a mistaken quote, at least I hope so.

It was simply a joke about the scent guess I hit wrong post. Sorry meant to quote happy

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
Banned in ....Michigan      New Jersey      Pennsylvania      South Carolina (WMA’s only)    Rhode Island
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Honolua

• Do Or Do Not There Is No Try...-Master Yoda
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
Wow I didn’t realize there were so many saints on the forum....next thing you know baiting will be looked down on.
I got about $2500.00 tied up in tent blinds not to mention another $1500.00 in decoys if you think ima give up baiting and tent blind sitting your crazy. You really expect me to walk around in the woods....on my feet with no motorized vehicle?  I use a fan going and coming to my stand and if I’m lucky enough to shoot a turkey hen/gobbler/Jake on the way to my stand and save me from having to sit in my blind for two whole hours so much the better. The sooner I can get back to my couch and TV the better.
     All you “public land only” hero’s with your “all I use is a call and gun” make me sick. I’m not about to go stomping around in the woods all hours of the day and taking a chance of getting lost or blisters or who knows what out there in the dark wilderness. Give me a tent blind in a cut corn field, two dozen decoys and I’ll show you a Facebook page that will make anybody jealous.
Old Gobbler Gold right here! Love it. You a good ol' boy in my book.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2020, 04:50:05 PM »
I don’t like fanning. If it’s legal whatever. I hunt in Alabama and I’ve had guys sneak in on me on public, and also trespass onto private trying to get in on a bird.  I would have hated to be crawling behind a fan when they snuck across the property boundary. I imagine they would have shot without much  consideration.  I think the idea of crawling/moving with a fan might be the area to draw the line on. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Balla1982

• God, family and hunting. What else is there!
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2020, 10:32:22 PM »
So everyone that is against reaping only turkey hunt?
Do you guys deer hunt and if so do you put out attractants, corn, etc?
Do you use scents?
Some states allow the use of dogs....that’s worse than reaping in my book.

Same with waterfowl and hunting flooded corn, using motion decoys, spinning wing decoys, blah blah blah blah.

It’s a method to outsmart your prey.

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 01:10:16 AM »
Reaping is not my cup of tea personally.  I just don’t personally find it very sporting and a method that takes little to no skill to kill a turkey.  It’s a dangerous risk to take.  To each his own and each individual has their own standards. 

Just my opinion, but something being legal doesn’t always make it right.  For example, electronic remote control gobbler decoys are legal in a lot of states.  Rolling out a decoy and luring a gobbler into your lap in no way should they be legal, but it is.   I’d like to see these banned.  So, I don’t always put much stock in “if it’s legal”. 

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 04:30:43 AM »
Personally it is not for me that being said I think on private land it is alright but public land is another thing. I am an exclusive public land Hunter (Fort Campbell, KY) to I know there could be trespassers but has much has I hate to say it there are some people that definitely use target recognit
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 04:34:57 AM »
Sorry hit the send button early

There are definitely people not using target recognition prior to pulling the trigger. I know personally I always carry a blaze orange hat with me when I am hunting just in case I see another hunter. Obviously I am not wearing it when I am setup but it is always within reach.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 05:22:48 AM »
Do you use scents?

Same with waterfowl and hunting flooded corn, using motion decoys, spinning wing decoys, blah blah blah blah.

Bait is unsporting as well imo. Dog hunting is absolutely a blast.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2020, 05:25:22 AM »
Here you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG48FaYX2mo&feature=share

Online MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2020, 06:35:51 AM »
Do you use scents?

This is what I am talking about, while I don't "reap" I'm not holding it against you, your freedom to hunt this way if it's legal where you hunt. There are states that will let you "Roost Boost" yup shoot a sleeping turkey out of a tree... While I don't agree with the practice it is legal in some states. States will allow rifles for shooting turkeys, not for me but there again it's a legal practice in some states.

The rest of this comes down to "your personal set of ethics" and while some may disagree with another's choice in hunting tactics this is where we break down in our ranks. If every state held a vote and between state agency and hunter/voters this practice was outlawed then so be it.

MK M GOBL