turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red Dot Astigmatism

Started by YukonC, January 11, 2020, 11:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YukonC

I have decided to upgrade my 835 this year so along with the new choke (Indian Creek 0.675) and Limbsaver, I have purchased a Burris Fast Fire 3 (3 MOA with 336 plate that hasn't arrived yet and HOPE it works).

Once I was fully separated from the Army in 2012 I decided to get LASIK surgery which was a major life changer. I could of gotten the surgery for free via the Army, BUT I was required to stay stateside for 18 months to allow for full recovery by their standards. With my chosen profession, I spend no more than 11 months stateside at a time bouncing back and forth to the Desert so that was not an option. $5,000 later I had fresh new eyes! Little to my knowledge of the adversities involved with the procedure, I developed an astigmatism in my right eye.

A few years later I decided to set myself an exact model m4/AR-15 that I had by my side for the majority of my time in the Army. My optics of choice out of all of the available options was always the EOTECH. Excited to put it on my new replacement weapon, I turned it on out of the package and immediately was worried. The normally crisp Red Cross and dot look like a blob of start burst!! Long story short I ended up finding out that red dots under magnification clears up the issue so I ended up putting a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x and it's an amazing match to my setup and wish I had one during my tours.

Even though I know red dots are an issue I decided to give the Burris a try as it is a singular dot and maybe the astigmatism effect may not be that terrible. I just opened the box 10 minutes ago and found ITS NOT TOO BAD! it's not perfect but I think it will be okay once I get used to it. I just wanted to let people know that may have the same issue that the fast fire might work for you.

It's dark and rainy here in Illinois today so I don't know what it will look like in the sun just yet. I will be zeroing and patterning the 835 on Tuesday. I'll let you know the results...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Good to know! My eyes do much better with reflex style red dots over the cylinder style kind. If that's what's its called.

I was at the range today and I was comparing a Bushnell TR-25 and my Tru Glo Micro RDS.  I had darn near no issues at all with my Tru Glo. My Bushnell on the other hand seemed to make me a little cross eyed when focusing to hard on the dot.

Anyways man, hope the Burris works out for ya!

Sir-diealot

You have no idea how jealous I am of you, I tried to have LASIK surgery done and when I went in for the examination for it they informed me I could not have it done because my eyes drift when they see light and you have to be able to look at a reference light I guess when you have the surgery done and I would not be able to do that without my eyes drifting which could cause me to come out with even worse vision than I have now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Old Timer

As you age things change. The last 3 years i have had a hard time deer hunting with bdc scopes as my eyes dont pick up the reticle as easy as they used to. After a miss this year with a shot taken i changed my muzzleloader over to a simply plex. Next chance i got it was money. Now all my scopes on my big game rifles are plex. I have the nikon turkey Pro on my 835 that has served me well for years. Im setting up my Beretta for turkey also so i might go with a circle x reticle as you know the turkey pro is no longer available. Im not sure at my age my eyes could do the red dot or holographic sight.  Good day!

Spurs Up

Polarized glasses will help immensely. The star burst, blur effect will be all but gone.

savduck

Get a Swamp fox Kingslayer in green circle dot and have no issues. I cant shoot red. Got to have green.
Georgia Boy