turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Only 1 striker

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, January 11, 2020, 10:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler2577

Cant imagine having just one, but if I had to it would be a JLH heavy hickory.  It just runs everything very well.   

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

bbcoach

For me it would be a dymondwood or laminated wood.  These two grip and play on most surfaces.  With that being said, I never go in the woods with only one striker.  10 usually!  Glenda's striker wrap is always full.

paboxcall

Tough decision. My top three favorites are a Torman dymondwood, JHL heavy cedar, or an osage striker hand whittled by an old turkey killer from West Virginia I was gifted many years ago.

To take one, it going to be the osage. One of a kind.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

ArkyRidgeRunna

Quote from: bbcoach on January 11, 2020, 03:13:40 PM
For me it would be a dymondwood or laminated wood.  These two grip and play on most surfaces.  With that being said, I never go in the woods with only one striker.  10 usually!  Glenda's striker wrap is always full.

Oh wow. Im interested why a man would need 10 strikers on a hunt! Care to explain?

Gobbler2577

Because he couldnt carry 11!  Different striker=different turkey.  Some days that gobbler just wants to hear a certain sound.  Dont know how many times a bird just wasnt interested until I picked up the right striker.  May not be the best sounding one to me, but it was the right one that day. 

decoykrvr

I typically carry 6-8 strikers w/ a range of hardwoods to softer woods which all run differently on various pots depending on a myriad of factors ie. temperature, humidity, etc. , but if I was relegated to a single striker it would be on of my hand-made Massaranduba (bulletwood) boat paddles.

bbcoach

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on January 11, 2020, 03:39:05 PM
Because he couldnt carry 11!  Different striker=different turkey.  Some days that gobbler just wants to hear a certain sound.  Dont know how many times a bird just wasnt interested until I picked up the right striker.  May not be the best sounding one to me, but it was the right one that day. 

This!!!  Each striker changes the sound on each pot.  When you fish, you don't know what they want that day so you change it up.  If I don't get a response with a certain combo, I change it up.     

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on January 11, 2020, 03:39:05 PM

I agree, i carry more than one , striker in my roll up...that's why i buy them is to use them ,  i like some more than others ... SO i ask the same question WHY JUST ONE STRIKER ?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on January 11, 2020, 03:33:15 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on January 11, 2020, 03:13:40 PM

Oh wow. Im interested why a man would need 10 strikers on a hunt! Care to explain?
Like I have said before, turkeys are like human men, some men like blondes, some like brunettes, some with brown hair, me, I love me a redhead. You never know what kind of women a turkey is going to like so bring something for each range of sound and try them on each pot. I have a call I love the sound of but I have yet to have a turkey reply to it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MK M GOBL

If I had only one it would be my CODY Light Hickory, of course this is because it's on my CODY World Class Slate or my SPEC 1 Legend!!

Now I do carry 6 strikers with me and 2 call surfaces 1 Slate and 1 Glass, I sound like a dozen different hens from some old raspy down to the young one, then another half dozen diaphragms (18 different voices). It's what works for me!!

MK M GOBL

deltaeta

Let the bashing begin but mine would be my Primos Kee Kee striker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Loyalist84

For me it's JLH's Pernambuco. Sounds great on glass, aluminum and slate, haven't tried other surfaces though. His Sucupira is pretty awesome too for a raspy number.

MDTOM84

JLH

1 striker?!?

Now, that's just silly!!! :TooFunny:

M,Yingling

My fiber rod running that same striker 7 years now gets run 95 percent of the time during season condition maybe twice season   I do carry 2 piece dymond rod and black locust for back ups lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey