turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kinda odd question about traveling turkey hunting

Started by wkyhunter, January 10, 2020, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

I have traveled all over the states for years, turkey deer, elk pronghorn waterfowl.  Had never had an issue until last year.

Got to Arizona to deer hunt, arrived in the afternoon and jumped out for a quick hunt, left a cooler full of food and my water for the week, gone three hours max, some dirt bags stole it all, I had pre made a ton of food for a week long hunt, all wild game too, for fu-- sake leave a man his water in the desert!

Always had been worried, but just use common sense and go hunt.   

Of course a couple days later about the time I needed to go to the river and filter some water, a local stopped and after hearing my story left me all his water as he was headed home.

Spitten and drummen

I have never had a incident with vandals or theft. I have had people park next to me and come in on top of me. Just the world we live in now I guess.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wkyhunter

eggshell

I would bet that a few hundred hunting trips are represented by the people responding here and there are only a small number of incidents sighted, so I'd say over all it's not a serious concern. Actually, it's probably statistically insignificant, but if it happens to you then it's significant. I wouldn't let it affect my plans. It's good to see the over all the hunting community is pretty safe and responsible.   

saltysenior

while spending time as a caregiver to my wife, I dreamed and searched on the internet about trout fishing and camping in different eastern states....to my suprize much advice came back negitive..an old man camping alone in the wild is just asking to find trouble.....most bad reports came from KY. , W VA., and VA....I gave up on the idea..

Hobbes

I've hunted a few states as a NR, but nothing too crazy. The list includes KY, AL, MO, KS, NE, SD, CO, WA.  I eventually moved to CO then MT and hunted my home state of IL as a NR, but that probably doesn't count because the locals know me.  I don't recall ever having anything stolen.  I've not camped very often except elk hunting in CO.  On most occasions I'm staying in a hotel, but my truck has been left at multiple trailheads and on the side of the road.  It's usually clear that I'm hunting, but I try not to leave valuable gear/backup guns in plain sight.  I lock everything up.  If someone really wants to break in then I can't stop them, so it's really the opportunist that I'm trying to stop.  So far I've not had a problem. 

The instance above where someone admitted to "messing" with someone's truck because they bumped a bird is a childish move.  I don't appreciate folks not having the same principles as I do when hunting public ground and it rubs me wrong when someone  knowingly moves in on a bird I'm working.  However, some folks are just dumb, some folks are on their own trying to learn this without any guidance, some folks really don't have a clue.  I'll admit that some are just jerks (I've met my share), but I don't "mess" with their vehicles. Its a childish move at best.

One thing I don't do is stay home and skip the things I want to do out of fear that someone may bother me or my stuff.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: saltysenior on January 23, 2020, 09:42:28 PM

while spending time as a caregiver to my wife, I dreamed and searched on the internet about trout fishing and camping in different eastern states....to my suprize much advice came back negitive..an old man camping alone in the wild is just asking to find trouble.....most bad reports came from KY. , W VA., and VA....I gave up on the idea..

It is unfortunate that you did not try to live out your dream. I seriously doubt you would have had any issues. I never have and I have hunted and fished all three of those states by my self many times. Maybe its not to late to live out your dream.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Tunaguy

I traveled down to Virginia last year to hunt with my son. On the walk back to my truck after an afternoon scout at one of the WMAs I was surprised to see a Virginia wildlife officer next to it. He knew my name and that I was licensed. It was good to know another set of eyes were on my truck when I was in the field.
  PS- We talked to several hunters that trip and all were good exchanges.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

saltysenior

Quote from: mtns2hunt on January 24, 2020, 12:31:16 PM
Quote from: saltysenior on January 23, 2020, 09:42:28 PM

It is unfortunate that you did not try to live out your dream. I seriously doubt you would have had any issues. I never have and I have hunted and fished all three of those states by my self many times. Maybe its not to late to live out your dream.

BUT, my fear of being robbed or worst probably saved me from falling and drowning in a stream..when the time came to go, I didn't realized that the trout fishing would have to be done from a chair...now going to the wellness center to try and get ready for a turkey that has to come within 75 yrds of a road..

BigGobbler

Have Turkey hunted many different states and have never had any issues or had any problems with the locals,except my home state of Florida. Not all of them but a lot of Florida locals are Territorial of hunting areas.

Happy

I only have hunted Wv and Md but I have had very few issues around my neck of the woods. Now hunting public lands further East is a different story. That can turn into a regular goat ropin. Anyways I would hope that all true hunters be respectful of each other and treat others how they would like to be treated. There is enough selfishness and greed in this world as it is. No need to add to it. If I encounter idiots i just walk away smiling anymore, I might make darned sure that the gobbler they tried to cut in on isn't in a gobbling mood either. It isn't worth my time and aggravation dealing with them. If I encounter decent human beings that are polite and are interested in more than an "easy" bird then I will more than likely try and help them out if i can. I honestly do enjoy seeing other people succeed. I just want to make sure that they are willing to do the work first.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wkyhunter

Good discussion. Thanks for the response to the thread.
Now I just have to decide where and when to go.
Hope all have a great upcoming season!

saltysenior

BigGobbler

Quote from: warrent423 on January 25, 2020, 08:32:45 PM
I'm Old School. If I pull up to a gate and see a truck parked there, I move on, no matter how much ground is behind the gate. If I know a Gobbler is set up in a particular area, not necessarily a gated road, and see a truck parked in the general vicinity of said Gobbler, I move on. Common sense, as well as, common curtesy. I have no tolerance for rudeness, as well as, ignorance. Just the way I am wired
I agree and do the same. Its a shame but the new age hunters just have no respect