turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kinda odd question about traveling turkey hunting

Started by wkyhunter, January 10, 2020, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkyhunter

Looking at some out of state hunts  alone, this year and was thinking about what rig to take.
Considering some of the places we as turkey hunters go, I was wondering if any of y'all had issues with the local "good ole boys" messing with your vehicles, your camps, or you? Do you think they'd be more likely to mess with an older truck vs a newer one?
Looking at camping out of one of my trucks using just a topper, so I might just sleep where I hunt. Places like national forest, state lands , ect. And I'd certainly be open to any advice.
Thanks!

Gooserbat

I've stayed in the truck on several occasions. Never had anyone mess with anything.  Use common sense and don't leave valuables in plain sight and lock the door. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

buzzardroost

Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

paboxcall

No issues, find the local residents very kind and helpful. One helped me pull and straighten a bumper with a sledge after I dinged it up trying to turn around on a tight forest road.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

fallhnt

If you are a "pro staffer" and your truck looks like a billboard, you might find other transportation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

LaLongbeard

Like anything else it depends. Some states welcome OOS hunters and the locals are friendly. I can tell you there are places in Mississippi were you aren't welcome with out of state tags. I've known several people that have had problems in Florida Miss Alabama etc. In almost every instance before anything happened they had encountered locals that didn't want anybody hunting "their spot". Everything from slashed tires, stolen tents, guns pulled you name it. I've only had a few negative encounters with no vandalism but it does happen. I usually pay to stay in a campground which is not guaranteed to be safe but stealing or vandalism in a campground with other people around is less likely than your truck parked at the end of some forest service road with no one around and little traffic.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Chad

I've never had trouble from other hunters but have had negative encounters with ranchers who lease grazing rights on Forest Service land and think they own it. In both South Dakota and North Dakota.

wkyhunter

Thanks guys.
Trust me I'm no "prostaff".... lol.
Just don't want to get into a hassle over turkey hunting. Like most I just out there to hunt hard and enjoy myself.

Crghss

Never had a problem, hide valuables. Everybody has been pleasant everywhere I've went.

Most people treat you how you treat them, from what I've seen.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

GobbleNut

Never had any issues, but have heard a few random stories from folks that have.  One group of guys I know had their entire camp picked up and stolen while they were deer hunting.  Went back to their campsite after a morning's hunt and the entire camp was gone! 

3bailey3

I am from MS. and never had any problem with locals on public land but have had a few times folks from AR. parked right beside me after I had been there a hour before daylight, a gated road maybe a mile long and he asked were I was going, he had a kid with him and I said I would find another spot, not what I wanted to say! the next day he blocked the gate and some timber people needed in, so they went to look for them, messed that hunt up. My thought is be nice and you will be treated nice!

mtns2hunt

I hunted MS a time or two and never had any issues. I have hunted in several states with no issues. Fact is out of state hunters with out of state tags do draw attention. I mark every one I see when hunting public land. Just like to know who is  around.

As for driving a brand new vehicle to hunt. You are better off driving a clunker. I maintain the my vehicles well but the body not so much. Not much value in my rims or tires. I do this especially when dropping off a vehicle when float fishing. I never leave valuables in a vehicle even when hunting private land. Things do disappear. I have left milk crates on public land and they always disappear. Cleaned a deer one time and left some tree steps in a bag behind and they disappeared. Seems that anything left on public land will disappear. Sometimes even people.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

nativeks

I helped some guys from Missouri get their 4 slashed tires off their truck and transported them to town as a supercell with baseball sized hail approached years ago. I had a pretty good idea who might have slashed their tires but zero proof.