turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red Dot on a budget

Started by KentuckyLB, January 10, 2020, 08:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdrumnc

I have vortex stuff in all my deer rifles and vortex binoculars,  I love them.  That being said I have a bushnel trs-25 on a ar and a feyachi red dot on my range ar.  Both the bushnel and the feyachi have performed flawlessly throwing thousands of rounds.  I just got a cva scout .410 and moved the feyachi on it.  It hold zero and dialed in quickly with ninja 9.5s.   There are a few options to get by with!

the Ward

I can vouch for the trs25 also. Really good sight for the money and has held up great on several
different guns. The only quibble  i have, and it isn't much, is that they use a lot of tint to the lens,which can darken the field of view in low light/overcast conditions. Most inexpensive red dots are like that though.

DMTJAGER

FWIW I put a Truglo Gobbledot on my 870 ESM and fired about 25-30 upland game loads through it sighting it in and practicing with it fallowed by about 25 12ga 3.5" WLBXR 2oz #5 shot patterning it. Held up with zero issues tracked perfectly when I adjusted it.

Really liked the dot within a circle reticle. They retail under $60.

Also are running a Swampfox Kingslayer on a different 12ga 3.5" RESM and a 12ga 3.5" Benelli SN. Both have at least 25 upland game loads and 25 12ga 3.5" 2oz #5 shot shell under their belts and have worked quite well. The Swampfox can be found on sale for $160 that's what I paid.

jerf

I have a sight mark not sure of model #,it looks like a fast fire. 3 min.dot and was 100 bucks. I got it on my 10 gauge. Works like a champ.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: alabamabowman on January 12, 2020, 04:14:32 PM
https://www.amazon.com/AT3-Tactical-RD-50-Micro-Reflex/dp/B01M15X4H2

I put this one on a 410. It has been reliable.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

This is a great option. Alabamabowman is correct. Don't let the price tag fool you and their customer service and transferable lifetime warranty is as good as any out there. I have Vortex, Burris and Leupold as well - but for the money the AT3 is a great choice if you don't want to drop 200-400 on a red dot sight. Watch the torture videos they did on that AT3 sight, I would not have thought any red dot would have survived that test, but it did and did not even lose zero.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

OJR

I have had a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot 1x28 on my 870 for probably 10 years. It's been all over the country with me. From NY to Montana and Florida to Texas and all points in between. Never failed to hold zero. It's been like Ron Popiel used to say..."Set it and forget it"!

Muzzy61

Another vote for the TRS-25.  I've had one on my 835 shooting 12 gauge 3.5" shells for the that 7 years with no issue, haven't had to  rezero.  Had one on a 410 for a coupe of seasons and no problem, just added one to my new 20 gauge.
Hard to beat for the price.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

jhoward11

Save your $ and buy a good one!!! I went the other route ONCE.

jb1069

I put the AT3 on my gun when my vortex crapped out. I received a new vortex after sending it back in. It is still in the box. I prefer the AT3.

Yoder409

How lucky do you feel ??   

The first red dot I ever used was a BSA that came free when I bought a junk riflescope.  I put it on my 3.5" Super X2 just to play with til it broke and I'd buy a REAL red dot sight.  The BSA never failed or lost zero in 8-10 years of riding that gun.  Watched a boatload of birds expire while looking through that BSA.  Then I got a Super X3 and retired that sight to a 10-22, where it still resides in fine working order.

Conversely....... I bought a $300 Weaver red/green dot sight for the Super X3.  On a western trip it came out of a Pelican case (in a pickup truck....not an airline) with a shattered objective lens.  When I got home, Weaver replaced it.  On the next western trip, it lost zero from one shot (killed a bird in the morning) bad enough to TOTALLY MISS a bird at 35 yards that afternoon.

I'd like to say you get what you pay for.........   Maybe you do as long as you AVOID WEAVER PRODUCTS LIKE THE PLAGUE.   I've had very good luck with the letter"B"......   BSA, Bushnell and Burris.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.