OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Any experience with the Grand Slam Vest?  (Read 1459 times)

YukonC

Any experience with the Grand Slam Vest?
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:08:07 PM »
Looking to possibly get a new vest to replace my Cabela’s minimalist vest. The Alps Grand Slam is intriguing. Does the sit anywhere system actually work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Any experience with the Grand Slam Vest?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
To answer your question about the sit anywhere. I have one and it does work. although it does have the vest heavy

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »
I had one for about 2 hours, took it out of the box and the stitching was terrible and the leg was broken. Sent it back, bought a Tenzing and have used it for the last 3 years with a Cabelas Tatr seat

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 07:32:30 PM »
I just got one. Havent tried it in the woods yet. Was fine in the living room lol

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 12:35:35 AM »
I also just got one. Seems to be real nice to me. Excited to try it out this season.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:18:03 AM »
Got mine last year before the start of season. Really nice vest, imo

Offline Boyer12

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:29:35 PM »
Got mine and going on season 3 with it. My best vest so far and I’ve previously owned a tenzing and Ol Tom. I love the kick stand bc I can set up anywhere and I mostly will use it in fallen down trees. The seat is pretty comfy too. Kickstand isn’t that noticeable when your not using it and just sitting up against a tree.

Offline hush

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
Really like mine. I’ve used it last season. Holds anything I want to bring, kickstand gives a comfortable set up anywhere. Heavier than some, but worth it for the comfort.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 02:07:17 PM »
Got one last year and used it all season. Really liked it, only problem with it is its so big I tend to want to take too many things I really don't need. I agree with others, it is a little heavy with the kickstand in but if that's an issue, you can remove it if you like. After you get used to the weight, it's really not that bad and well worth the effort in order to be able to sit with a backrest anywhere you like.

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 12:41:24 AM »
I intend on getting one for this season. The fact that the frame is removable is what sold me on it.

Offline Ross R

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »
I got one late last spring. I was able to hunt one morning with it.  Its pretty heavy loaded down with a water bladder and gear. I dont think I'd want to do a death march in the heat with it.

Offline KeyDett

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 10:35:45 PM »
Got mine last year and I really like it.  It is heavy but being able to set up anywhere comfortably makes it worth it.

Offline simpzenith

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 12:14:02 PM »
I've been using one since they first came out. It's the most comfortable vest that I've ever used but it is a little heavier than the traditional vest, which is to be expected. It has really made a difference in allowing me to sit basically anywhere I want.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 12:50:15 PM »
I’ve had one for two years now. All in all, I like it a lot. The vest is slightly heavy although it hasn’t been a major detractor in the field. The kickstand is a game changer as far as setup. Anywhere, on any terrain. Against a tree, no problem. Uneven ground, no problem. Durability has been fairly good, although I did take it to a taylor and had some stitching reinforced. I also had a zipper put in the seat and replaced the foam with a wheelbarrow inner tube. That made a HUGE difference in extended sit comfort. The only real criticism I have is that the pockets are shallow. Before I addressed that situation with call sleeves and safety pins to retain larger calls and scratchers, I lost a couple. Other than that, I can recommend the vest highly.

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 01:57:10 PM »
I used one all of last season. I like it a lot. The kickstand is extremely comfortable, but does add some weight to it, but it is not difficult to remove. I used the kickstand all of Mississippi's season, as I knew the area well and typically was not hoofing miles just to find/strike a bird. I removed it for my trip out west when I was doing just that. Even removing the kickstand the vest is still heavier than most, but I like it enough to deal with the added weight.