OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: fed hvw tss question  (Read 1574 times)

Offline hotspur

fed hvw tss question
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:07 AM »
Just bought fed hvw tss #7 , the box doesn't indicate a flight control wad , is there a standard wad in this shell ? Or still using flight control. Wads?

Offline jrmcclure

Re: fed hvw tss question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »
I'm afraid it's the flight control wad and #9's are definitely the better choice where legal. The Browning's and apex's seem to have a standard wad. Nothing wrong with the federals, but it seems like it takes more shots to find a choke that does well. Or just buy an Indian Creek or a similar designed choke that is very good at stripping the wad from the shot column. The flight control wad was federals attempt at other loads to make them shoot tighter more consistent patterns, but it's not needed with tss.

Offline hotspur

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »
7  was all that was available, I have a tight wad choke on 870, 21 in. Barrel

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 07:39:40 PM »
I shot a tightwad .660 in a Mossberg 535 and the federal tss #9's we're too tight for what I like. I want an even 15-20" pattern at 40 yards. The federal tss threw 380 pellets in a 10-12" circle. Anything over about 200-250 in the 10" is overkill for what I need and I'd rather have an even 20" pattern instead of a 10" pattern. Longbeards will throw a super tight 10-12" pattern for a third of the price, but that not what I'm after. I want a forgiving pattern and handloads, Apex, or browning does that.

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 07:40:06 PM »
Just bought fed hvw tss #7 , the box doesn't indicate a flight control wad , is there a standard wad in this shell ? Or still using flight control. Wads?

I thought all the newer federal TSS have the Flight Control Flex Wads?

Offline SoDak_JD

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:04:58 AM »

I thought all the newer federal TSS have the Flight Control Flex Wads?

The current flitecontrol flex wad is different than the original “flitecontrol” wad.  As jrmcclure mentioned, the original Flitecontrol wad designed to keep a tighter pattern and Federal said not to use a choke that was designed to strip the wad.

When they came out with the Flitecontrol “Flex” a couple years ago, Federal said it could be used with any choke.

Looking at the Federal website, it looks like all the TSS and 3rd Degree have the Flitecontrol Flex (except .410) but don’t make a big deal of it on the box anymore.