OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lonnie Mabry visit  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Lonnie Mabry visit
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:46:17 AM »
 I wanna thank Va longbeard as he visited Lonnie back in November and I seen the black limba box and scratcher he got and while I was considering going before that  put me over the top. Me and my gf go down to SC every year for Christmas to visit her family and I have been fortunate enough to go down and visit Lonnie three times now. 
The visit with him is awesome every time, only was able to hang out for 7 hours since the drive back is 3 hours but every minute is well worth it. The turkey chat is the most fun I ever have taking turkey each and every time and the pointers he gives I really appreciate, the man really knows turkey and how to hunt them. Lonnie seems to be doing really well it had been two years since I had seen him last, but he is 78 so if you have plans to go see him just do it as I can't recommend it highly enough (I am already looking forward to trip #4).
  I ended up getting a couple strikers the one is Aloe, I had never seen one so had to get one. Was just curious if anyone has seen a striker made from that seems kinda unique to me? I got another cane yelper as well wanted to get a wingbone instead but he said a couple guys had cleaned him out of those and almost all the yelpers as well recently as their were only two left. I got 3 new boxes with the pH lid they are black limba,  cedar, and persimmon. I also got an all walnut and a walnut over black limba. I also got 4 scratch boxes they are black limba, persimmon, ambrosia maple, and butternut. I tried to post a few pictures but had no luck, thanks for The read guys.

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: Lonnie Mabry visit
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »
Sounds to me like you made a big haul congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
  Thanks SB yes great haul and great visit as well  :turkey2:

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 06:57:44 PM »
What's most important was the visit and history ... those calls are really special....

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 03:22:25 PM »
  They sure are Greg, thanks!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 08:18:31 PM »
Congratulations, sounds like some great new toys and a great time talking. Hope to get one of his box calls in the future, sure do like the pot call I got of his.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 07:02:50 AM »
Congratulations, sounds like some great new toys and a great time talking. Hope to get one of his box calls in the future, sure do like the pot call I got of his.

You went to see Lonnie Mabry?
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 07:32:34 AM »

You went to see Lonnie Mabry?
No, a friend was kind enough to pick one up for me.

IMG_0673 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0678 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
  Thanks Sir was a great time, and added some fabulous toys as well  :turkey2:

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 06:38:58 PM »
Being from Wisconsin I envy all you guys who can visit with Lonnie ,see and purchase his calls......maybe
sometime soon .........

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
  Wish you could Harty, believe me it is a great time.

Offline Clardh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 10:38:15 PM »
My friend and I just got back from Unicio. For the past 4 years we have visited Lonnie and it really is the highlight of my trip. Lonnie’s calls are some of the best. Like Beards and Hooks said, it’s really the time spent with him that you love the most. Lonnie’s stories are so detailed and interesting you really just can’t get enough of them. He always makes you feel welcomed and you go away feeling like you have been friends with him for a lifetime. If you ever get time, a visit with him is a must!

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
My friend and I just got back from Unicio. For the past 4 years we have visited Lonnie and it really is the highlight of my trip. Lonnie’s calls are some of the best. Like Beards and Hooks said, it’s really the time spent with him that you love the most. Lonnie’s stories are so detailed and interesting you really just can’t get enough of them. He always makes you feel welcomed and you go away feeling like you have been friends with him for a lifetime. If you ever get time, a visit with him is a must!
[/quote
  Well said and agree with every bit of it, I have to make it to Unicoi at some point, have heard Helen is a real nice visit as well.]