OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Midland arms or Stevens 301....

Started by KELLY B, December 30, 2019, 02:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KELLY B

I'm trying to decide between these 2.  Any one have any experience with the Midland arms single barrel? 

jrmcclure

I have owned both. I still have a midland..not a fan of the Savage with a hammer and a safety. It needs one or the other, but not both. The midland breaks open further, no hammer, simpler safety, and choice of multiple barrel lengths. I do wish it had a vent rib barrel, but I guess you can't have everything and the factory threaded for chokes is probably a better feature for the money.

jrmcclure

And if yildiz would make a 20 gauge single shot with a wood stock like there tk36 .410 or tk12. I wouldn't have the midland or the Stevens even if I had to send it off to be threaded for chokes. The yildiz are cheaper, better built, lighter, wood stock, vent rib, all they lack is choke tube threads and someone who isn't afraid of recoil.

SumToy

Quote from: jrmcclure on December 30, 2019, 06:45:50 PM
And if yildiz would make a 20 gauge single shot with a wood stock like there tk36 .410 or tk12. I wouldn't have the midland or the Stevens even if I had to send it off to be threaded for chokes. The yildiz are cheaper, better built, lighter, wood stock, vent rib, all they lack is choke tube threads and someone who isn't afraid of recoil.

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

I like the midland. 

You have one group that push the Stevens so they can run one choke.   The big sales pitch is it is cheaper.  Has mount and threaded.   Well it is 100-129 for plus 200 to fix it. 

Stevens is 160 to 180 or more.    You got to change the choke. Now we have a better base so add that to it.  Only thing is 65 to thread it.  The difference in the amount up front in gun cover that almost plus you dont have plastic. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

KELLY B

Thanks for the replies.  Much appreciated.

va longbeard

I would go look at both in person, what one person likes you may hate.

Midland looks nice and I have handled them.  Like the feel, weight (its lighter), no hammer and the safety.  Cons don't like that its not drilled and tapped, trigger to me was unacceptable stock so a trigger job would be on order for me but to others it is probably perfectly acceptable and finish is not great similar quality to 870 express for reference. 

Stevens solid gun I own one.  Its drilled and tapped and base works for me others do not like it and yes it is the cheaper route if you can live with the base.  Trigger to me is not perfect but has no creep and crisp pull and I can live with it stock.  Cons base is not the greatest but it works, hammer (not a con for me but for some it will be) and finish on the gun is not that great similar to 870 express.

Neither one of these guns is built like a fine English double shotgun as far as quality but I think both are perfectly acceptable for what they are utilitarian turkey hunting shotguns.

I think once you look at the guns you will make the choice that works best for you. 

Good luck!

old frank

I have not seen the Midland. I bought the plain 301 Compact. It comes threaded for choke tubes. The safety can be removed in about a minute.

The only added cost would be if you wanted a scope or optic.