OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Brookside pre turned pots??

Started by Bculbert88bama, December 28, 2019, 10:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bculbert88bama

I'm wanting to get into call makeing and was wondering if any of y'all have used any of the pre turned pots brim brookside game calls how are they how deep are they how thick are they etc. Only wanting to make some for myself and my 3 boys thought it would be good for them and a life long tresure

BigSlam51

From what I've heard they sound horrible.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: BigSlam51 on December 28, 2019, 11:12:06 AM
From what I've heard they sound horrible.

Speaking from from firsthand experience, I can tell you that is not true.

I used the 3.25" pots and 3.5" pots, in cherry and maple respectively. The smaller pots were glass over glass, and the maple pots were aluminum over glass. Used plumber's goop loaded into small syringes to apply the bead for the soundboard and the surface. Did some sanding on the pots, and applied a poly coating to protect the wood.

I only made a dozen each, and gave them away as gifts. Proceed with your idea Bculbert, you'll be glad you did. There is nothing like getting a gobbler to respond to a call you made.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

BigSlam51

There is nothing like getting a gobbler to respond to a call you made.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that lol

M,Yingling

Say go for it give your boys nice little project. Just when u glue them up don't make a mess of it it can kill a call sound wise
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Bculbert88bama

What kind of glue do y'all recommend

BigSlam51

Quote from: Bculbert88bama on December 28, 2019, 11:42:32 PM
What kind of glue do y'all recommend
E6000

Sir-diealot

Titebond 1413 III Ultimate Wood Glue if you have to attach the ring to the bottom and also for the slate if I remember right and E6000 is what I used to attache the sound board.

I may have that backwards with the slate and the soundboard though, hopefully others will be kind enough to correct me if I am mistaken.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Upfold99

Plumbers goop or e6000 for both sound board and striking surface

M,Yingling

Pick some striker heads and rods up also
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

outdoors

You can use most any glue  you'll get a slight difference sound
The most common is plumber glue there's different kinds also of plumber glue als
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

TurkeyHunterML

Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

Big Pine

I've made quite a few of them using the 3.5" maple pots with glass over aluminum, and I think they sound great. I've called up a few turkeys with mine and my dad has as well.

WildSpur

I have assembled many calls with brookside 3.5 pots.  I have shot enough birds with them to know they are great!  My favorite is padauk. 

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

PEPPERHEAD

I just ordered a kit to make 4 calls. How much glue do you use? A small bead around the entire perimeter of the call or a few dots?