turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New gun (BPS)

Started by Clif Owen, December 26, 2019, 10:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clif Owen

Hey guys. Just recently swapped for a Browning BPS in 12 gauge. I'd like to find a good choke for it and was curious what you recommend. I've only used the factory tubes so far (small game and ducks) and a Kicks buckshot tube I thought I wanted to try. So far, I'm very underwhelmed with any patterns I've seen so not sure I expect greatness. But I may be spoiled by the results my 835 gives.

USMC0331

It will depend on what ammo you want to shoot. Sumtoy, Indian Creek on the higher end work very well or you can try the Carlson.   Generally 660-680 for most ammo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Agree first decided what ammo your wanting to shoot , them match the choke ....

Prohunter3509

My son shoots one in 31/2 " l.b. 6's
I.c.665 lights out

Clif Owen

Let me try the question from this angle. I use 3 1/2" Hevi-shot #7's in my Mossberg and ideally; would like to use the same ammo in both guns so I don't have to swap out if I change guns. I just wasn't sure what constriction would be a good place to start. I suppose that thing has me spoiled. Shoots fantastic with everything smaller than 4's. Ironically, with the factory extra full; 4's is the only thing it shoots well (lead). I've never been impressed with the Longbeards though. Will probably want to stick with Hevi-shot in 6's, 7's or the blend.  So, now where to start?

Loyalist84

I'd try the factory Browning Turkey Choke first! I don't use the new and improved turkey loads in mine, just Remington Nitros, but the factory choke has killed every bird either my father or myself have squeezed the trigger on without any fuss.

Oconeeguy

I have a 12 ga. BPS and get really good, even patterns at 40 with a Jellyhead .670 and Indian Creek .675. My two best chokes

mtns2hunt

I have a BPS with a Kicks 655. I have been shooting Longbeard 5's in it. Killed birds in Va, NM, Ks, and Florida. Patterns are very very good.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

davisd9

.665 is where I would start with those Hevi 6s or 7s.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

KentuckyLB

Jeb`s 665 or 670 will be where I would begin.

243kid

Rob Robert's Final Strutt .660 works well for me

bbcoach

IMO stick with the Mossy for turkeys (one of the best patterning guns out there), they love those Hevi 7's.  Put the BPS in the gun cabinet for dove, ducks and geese.  But if you must, find an IC or Sumtoy in .660 or .665.  Check with Sumtoy for his recommendation, he's done a ton of research with most guns.

CrustyRusty

My bps liked the hevi-choke With 6's and 7's, never had a problem killing a bird with it at reasonable ranges.  I'm not a numbers chaser, I like a nice even killing pattern. Will yours be able to kill a bird at 40?  I have several turkey specific guns, with varying degrees of performance.  Personally, I choose what I carry based on different factors like terrain, weather, nostalgia, even my mood and always knowing what the guns limits are.

If you like the bps, use it, knowing what it's limitations are. Good luck