OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Parallax Free?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
Parallax Free?
« on: December 20, 2019, 06:37:36 PM »
Looking to pick up a reflex type sight and I'm new to them as I never used one. Most claim "Parallax Free", but wondered if they truly are?

I like the idea if your head alignment isn't perfect and the dot will still be on, but question this? although not certain how it works either? I know if you look at a regular bead sight and move your head a bit, it's off target, and would think the same with reflex dots?, unless it adjusts somehow?

Just curious as I have read if you can see the dot it's on, and have read other claims where if their head wasn't perfect it was off? So I'm guessing those who claimed the later were not truly Parallax Free sights, even though the claimed they were? Thanks

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
Re: Parallax Free?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »
Here is a pretty good article on subject. I’m not an expert on the subject but I think you have to have a holographic site?

https://www.breachbangclear.com/parallax-free-isnt/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Parallax Free?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »
Thanks for the read, by the sounds of it, most are not truly parallax free, as it's more of a selling gimmick?

If so, kind of disappointing, as it was the one feature that truly interested me in a reflex type sight, since I've always used open sights.

So I'm guessing if a sight is truly parallax free one could mount their gun in a vise and center the dot precisely on a target while checking the gun, then slightly move there head and if the dot moves of center it isn't parallax free? Is this correct? as I'm trying to understand this feature, if it truly exist?

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
Parallax Free?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
Thanks for the read, by the sounds of it, most are not truly parallax free, as it's more of a selling gimmick?

If so, kind of disappointing, as it was the one feature that truly interested me in a reflex type sight, since I've always used open sights.

So I'm guessing if a sight is truly parallax free one could mount their gun in a vise and center the dot precisely on a target while checking the gun, then slightly move there head and if the dot moves of center it isn't parallax free? Is this correct? as I'm trying to understand this feature, if it truly exist?
truly parallax free, no. But close enough at under 50 yards (I think they will rate them somehow about deviations under a certain distance) As long as I have my gun shouldered and I look down the barrel my face doesn’t have to rest on the stock to make accurate or close enough shots. The one I have is really designed for pistols.

This article has a demonstration video that wouldn’t play but you can search YouTube and there are videos showing the effect on target if viewed from different angles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:15:29 AM by wchadw »