OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hen Box  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Hen Box
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
I will take a hen box over any other box call. I hunt them all but to me once you learn how to run it , you can get several different hens out of it. The yawk on the backend cannot be matched by any other call. There is one in my vest permanently. I have a dozen and change them out through season. I have a fiddlebox in my vest everyday also. I change that combo throughout the season also. Get one , learn to run it and you will see what Im talking about. Good luck.
  Just what he said is the same i always carry in my satchel ... Fiddle box - hen box - pot - Trumpet etc... and chance them out during the season ...

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Hen Box
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »
I admit I’m not a historian when it comes to turkey calls nor anything else. What is the history behind a hen box?  I’ve noticed them before but never paid any attention to them. Are they an older style box compared to long boxes or a Cost style box?

How do hunters pack one of them. That handle looks like it would break off after one morning in my vest. Just curious about them, may have to add one to my vest if they sound good and are more durable than they look.

The way I understand it the hen box was originated by Frank Cox. Richard Hudson pretty much singlehandedly made it popular and developed it further. Richard has been the seed that most of the newer makers of hen boxes have either directly mentored from or were influenced by. I think it would be reasonable to say that Richard is the reason hen boxes are even in existence today.
Frank Cox builds hen boxes but the call did not originate with him. Tom Turpin built hen boxes long before Frank ever tried to build turkey calls. If you want info on either the hen box or Turpin box call Steve Turpin and talk with him.