OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shotgun for youth first time turkey hunting?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
Re: Shotgun for youth first time turkey hunting?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 08:49:17 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
I kill birds with a .410 and lead. A 20 would be a better all around gun to grow with. You don't need a max load to kill a turkey so that will reduce recoil.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
My then 5 year old used a 870 20 gauge with a kicklite stock and 1.125oz TSS #10s to shoot his first bird. Used a Caldwell shooting pod to help him hold the gun.

Started shooting ballons with a 22 then moved up to the 20 gauge with bird shot. Set him up with a red dot for plenty of eye relief.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 04:03:48 PM »
As an update. He shot the .22 like a boss. I guess all the shooting with the BB gun paid off. The Remington 1100 youth turkey model LOP was about 3" to long for him. So if I can't get a custom stock with a shorter LOP. I'll be looking at getting a shotgun with a shorter LOP in either 410 or 20 gauge.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Happy New Year.

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 08:54:24 AM »
I bought my #3 son an old Mossberg 20 GA bolt gun when he started.  He used it throughout his yute career, and was deadly with it.  It was just enough gun for him.  He shot Federal #4 lead loads.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline ssramage

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
My primary turkey gun is a 20 gauge single shot. My son will be almost 7 by the time season gets here so I wanted to get him something simple to operate and functionally similar to my 20. I ended up finding a .410 single shot with the same basic set up as my 20 before season last year and have been letting him shoot it. He's deadly out to about 30yds with TSS, but the killing range is much farther if needed with a nice forgiving pattern. Hoping to let him take his first with it this year if all goes well.

Offline kyturkeyhunter4

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »
My son got his first bird at age 10 also he was about 70 pounds I bought him a Mossberg 500 20ga and I bought a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32 Scope with  Indian Creek Choke and Federal Heavy Weight #7. He did a lot better using the scope than just the bead

Offline buzzman2

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
My son shot his first at 12 with an 870 express 20. The gun was too heavy for him to carry and aim without support from his knee. We practiced sitting and dry firing at a decoy. He had swinging and all that practiced. Gun had a red dot. He did not watch me pattern the gun and he only ever shot one low recoil shell. I slipped the turkey load in while hunting and he never felt it. 50 minutes of back numbing strutting at 50 yards and finally a 41 yard shot. This year I got him the Savage 301 turkey .410. he has killed a squirrel with it. He can also carry it himself. He is not afraid of it. I would have started with that if I had to do it again.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »
My son got his first bird at age 10 also he was about 70 pounds I bought him a Mossberg 500 20ga and I bought a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32 Scope with  Indian Creek Choke and Federal Heavy Weight #7. He did a lot better using the scope than just the bead

Be careful w kids and scopes. Make sure the eye relief is good and they’re familiar. One scope eye and they could be hesitant to shoot after that

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 02:39:49 AM »
My daughter uses a Mossberg mini bantum 20 gauge with a red dot (she's petite). May want to check it out. Good luck

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 06:36:32 AM »
Remington 1187 compact with a Red dot is ideal for young shooters, if your concerned about the automatic some only load one shell for kids, but the advantage of the gas operated system is a lot less recoil for them. I had mine drilled and tapped and then ordered a base from William at Sumtoy and added a Burris FF3.

Offline Slick_trick

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 07:40:08 AM »
My youth 20 has a decent punch to it. May let him try dove loads and see how he does.

Online Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »
Star with the .22, you probably know your kids personality and can gauge his response.

Two idiots I know took an 18 year old timid kid out to shoot and gave him a 12 ga with a turkey load, I had to take him shooting several times to get him to try a shotgun again, and we got him a 20ga.

Kid was petrified to shoot anything after that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbes

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
I've not read all the replies, but my oldest started with a pellet gun and then shots few rounds through an old single shot .410.  I started them hunting with an 870 Junior instead of the Youth model.  I didn't let them shoot heavy loads, always low brass light loads. I did all the pattern wirk.  One key is ear protection, the bang has as much potential to scare them as the recoil does (at least with light loads).

In addition, my kids had watched me shoot from the truck with my wife several times.  That wasn't really a plan for introduction, but I think it helped.  My younger kids had watched my older, so they looked forward for their time.

Some kids are just ready earlier than others, some kids are afraid if nothing, some are more timid and need brought along slowly.  Size and strength have some to do with it, but some kids are just fearless regardless of size.  My buddy son was a man child from about 8th grade on, talked a big game, but was scared to death when we tried to get him to shoot.  It was my buddy's fault.  He thought the kid was big, played football, was 13....let's just let him shoot a 30-06.  The boy wouldn't even pull the trigger he was so spooked after watching us sight the gun in.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply's everyone!

I'm looking hard into the Mossberg 510 super mini bantam in 410. It has a changeable LOP from 10" to 12" and 10" is what he needs right now.

I do wish it had a screw in choke system. It only comes in fixed modified.

We'll give it a shot. I'll do the patterning. Only let him shoot the lighter loads. Let me now what TSS load or brand y'all like.

Thanks again