OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shotgun for youth first time turkey hunting?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
Shotgun for youth first time turkey hunting?
« on: December 14, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »
My Son will be 8 this spring. Currently he is 4'5" and 88 pounds. I have a youth 20 gauge 1100 turkey special. Will this be to much gun for him? In a few weeks I'm going to let him shoot some low brass shells...

What's your thoughts?

Should I get him a 410 or stick with the 20?

Thanks.

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
Re: Shotgun for youth first time turkey hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
I'd let him shoot the 20 and see how he does with it then decide

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »
At 8 he needs to be shooting a .22 first. From there he could shoot a shotgun but things need to be considered.
For starters you need to know his eye dominance. He needs to shoot w proper eye not proper hand.
Once he’s shootings properly a 410 at stationary targets say a clay bird or can on a hill  would be fine. Wing shooting a 410 is an expert gun.
Are you looking to let him hunt this year if your state allows it? If so he may or may not be ready. A 20 for an 8 year old may be too much. Take things slow and allow him time. Use inner and outer hearing protection to make gun seem to kick less.
Now shotguns need to fit. Lop should be correct for him. We also need to consider strength of the child. Some kids are weak. In that case most semis are heavier and thus out but they recoil less. Perhaps the child can physically carry a gun n can’t stand the recoil.
I know it seems I’m going back n forth but I teach all kinda kids and what you’re asking has many variables. Not one person knows your kid like you.
My recommendation might be a .22. Than possibly a .410 at a STATIONARY target.
When he starts wingshooting a .28 is really the most friendly gauge. It’s got enough pellets yet won’t pound him.
Take it slow w the  child. Lots of kids are scared away from guns because of our desires not theirs. Grow em slow.
Myself w we shoot .22s. From there an AR15 than a bull barreled 22-250 to help em get used to noise.
From there a .28 w light reloads. Once there heavier loads are used eventually a 20.ga
Here’s another thing. Kids don’t need to watch a gun especially a turkey gun patterned. Sight in the gun. Give them LIGHT loads. When hunting give em the turkey load. The adrenaline overload will mask recoil.
Lots of kids are ruined from initial contact. Go easy and never test him

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »
I'd let him shoot the 20 and see how he does with it then decide
Yote excuse me. That’s terrible advice. Let me explain. My buddy had twins. First day out they shot 20s. One never shot again. One was so scared I had to bring my younger daughter who was the smallest kid in her class and have her shoot a 28 to prove to the remaining one years later it wouldn’t hurt.
He very rarely shoots and only when Nicky pushes him. Never practices and won’t even at 18 shoot a 20. Will most kids turn out like that? I’d say many won’t but why chance this? Go at the kids pace not ours

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 11:23:41 AM »
A pic of my daughter 3 weeks after she turned 10. I’ve posted this before but bird was shot w a 20 only after a slow introduction. It what we all want. Success for kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline suburbhunter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »
If he has no experience with shotgunning. I would go with Bowguys advise. Starting cold with a 20ga may not be a wise decision. I got my 20 for my 10th birthday, which was an upgrade form a .410. I still have it 40 years later. Good Luck!!!

Offline Zilla

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 01:09:14 PM »
My daughter shot her first turkey with a 410 using 27/32oz loads of TSS. I put a limb saver recoil pad on and there was almost no felt recoil. Plus it's a 40 yard turkey gun all day.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 02:42:38 PM »
Bowguy, Thanks so much. Great advice. My Son is strong, has played football with pads for several years. Does push ups for fun. I understand that might not relate to shooting.

In a couple of weeks I'll get him behind a 22. I might even get a chance with the low brass target loads. I have heavy shot for the 20 gauge, it has been patterned. I wasn't going to let him shoot the 3" turkey load until we are hunting. As for LOP I hope the Youth model will fit him. We are in MS, and he is really excited about turkey hunting this spring.

Again thanks so much for the awesome advice.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »
At 8 he needs to be shooting a .22 first. From there he could shoot a shotgun but things need to be considered.
For starters you need to know his eye dominance. He needs to shoot w proper eye not proper hand.
Once he’s shootings properly a 410 at stationary targets say a clay bird or can on a hill  would be fine. Wing shooting a 410 is an expert gun.
Are you looking to let him hunt this year if your state allows it? If so he may or may not be ready. A 20 for an 8 year old may be too much. Take things slow and allow him time. Use inner and outer hearing protection to make gun seem to kick less.
Now shotguns need to fit. Lop should be correct for him. We also need to consider strength of the child. Some kids are weak. In that case most semis are heavier and thus out but they recoil less. Perhaps the child can physically carry a gun n can’t stand the recoil.
I know it seems I’m going back n forth but I teach all kinda kids and what you’re asking has many variables. Not one person knows your kid like you.
When he starts wingshooting a .28 is really the most friendly gauge. It’s got enough pellets yet won’t pound him.
Take it slow w the  child. Lots of kids are scared away from guns because of our desires not theirs. Grow em slow.
Myself w we shoot .22s. From there an AR15 than a bull barreled 22-250 to help em get used to noise.
From there a .28 w light reloads. Once there heavier loads are used eventually a 20.ga
Here’s another thing. Kids don’t need to watch a gun especially a turkey gun patterned. Sight in the gun. Give them LIGHT loads. When hunting give em the turkey load. The adrenaline overload will mask recoil.
  x2 THIS is some of the best advice you could ever receive ... do not rush your son , i don't care how athletic he is , 22, 410 etc first...

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »
A pic of my daughter 3 weeks after she turned 10. I’ve posted this before but bird was shot w a 20 only after a slow introduction. It what we all want. Success for kids

I agree. Last year was my petite daughters first year and I did very similar things as mentioned by bowguy. I even mounted her 20 gauge to a tripod in our living room and had her try and keep it on the turkeys head that I pulled up on YouTube on our TV. The advice above is solid. Good luck to you both this spring and let me know if you need anything.

Here is a picture of my daughter and her first gobbler last year's

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »

I agree. Last year was my petite daughters first year and I did very similar things as mentioned by bowguy. I even mounted her 20 gauge to a tripod in our living room and had her try and keep it on the turkeys head that I pulled up on YouTube on our TV. The advice above is solid. Good luck to you both this spring and let me know if you need anything.

Here is a picture of my daughter and her first gobbler last year's

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Not to derail the question but this is often overlooked as well n I think needed mentioning. As Tomstopper  said we need to have kids practice the simplest things like moving or holding on target. I always have kids practice. In fact I thought it was something everyone did.
Last year I had my buddy’s daughter. I’d watched a monster of a bird whip 3 other long beards before I roosted him.
In the morning I was able to call him to 20 yards. The kid although I had her check her gear in the dark couldn’t line things up when the bird was there. She was excited and missed em than missed em again when he re engaged the decoy.
My buddy said they hadn’t practiced lining things up from hunt positions. Don’t forget this

Offline chadly

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 08:22:04 PM »
Your son is more than capable of a 20ga.  As mentioned practice is key.  As far as his size my kids were half his size and shooting big guns.  This is one of my 8 year old's this year shooting a 50 caliber muzzle loader.  He is 44lbs and more than capable of shooting the gun.  While my kids sit on my lap to shoot.  I hold the but of the gun tight to eliminate the kick to some degree. Your son will have no issue with some practice up front.  Shoot a big one and have some fun.  Hunting with kids is the best.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »

SPOT ON! Bowguy

Having mentored a number of youth hunters through our states Learn to Hunt Program and Youth Seasons having them start off right is a BIG thing, so many times a lot of this is overlooked. I also do Hunters Ed Classes and cover this there too.

MK M GOBL

Offline Buckman18

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »
I got my daughter the Stevens M301 Turkey in a .410. We shoot the Federal #9 TSS. Added a cheap red dot, and even with the factory choke it puts over 100 in 10 at 40.  When she target shoots with the same gun i put in cheap low brass #9's to keep recoil minimal.

The 20 was very intimidating to her.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
For shotguns, my son started firing light loads from a lead sled until he was ready to pull it to his shoulder.  I think that helped a lot.