turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cheap similar shells for intial setup?

Started by Cutt, December 12, 2019, 05:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Wanting to cycle some cheaper similar shells and get the sights on paper with my new sa-459. Will eventually be using Fed. TSS #9's, but don't want to pop off more than needed with the TSS shells to pattern.

Was wanting to find a cheaper similar 3in. shell for this, as it would be the same length to check cycling also. All I can come up with that is similar are the 3in. Federal Grand Slam, but only 5 shot, but also have the same flex wad as the TSS too. These shells run about 1.00 a piece, any other cheaper similar options for this? Thanks

davisd9

As long as velocity is in the same ball park the. You are good to go.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Cutt

Quote from: davisd9 on December 12, 2019, 05:59:45 PM
As long as velocity is in the same ball park the. You are good to go.

The Grand slam are listed at 1185 fps and the TSS 1200 fps for the 3in. shells.

3bailey3

I sighted mine in with cheap bird shot at 20 yards, should make a big hole that close, then moved to 40 with bird shot again, I made one adjustment at 20 and then one at 40, then I shot my TSS at 40 and made one adjust there, next shot was on!

3bailey3

3bailey3

Greg Massey

I bore sighted mine and didn't even have to make adjustment , i have scope mounted on mine ...

DrDirtNap

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 12, 2019, 07:02:21 PM
I sighted mine in with cheap bird shot at 20 yards, should make a big hole that close, then moved to 40 with bird shot again, I made one adjustment at 20 and then one at 40, then I shot my TSS at 40 and made one adjust there, next shot was on!

^^^^This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 12, 2019, 07:02:21 PM

Good information here
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

This is something somebody else posted, I thought I had the link but I guess I do not. Edit: Figures, I do have it, here is the link and I will delete the rest so this post is not so long. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=14641.0

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jrkimbrough

I used these to sight in mine initially. $4.99 box of 10

I also built a shot trap later on for testing different TSS loads. Got a couple of ziplocks with shot in them for my buddy to help reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PALongspur

The new Federal Grand Slam loads are very good shooting shells for the money. I like them so much I used them to hunt with this fall.