OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hello from Montana  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Big Sky Tom

Hello from Montana
« on: December 12, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »
My name is Max. I work in the oil patch mostly in NODAK but I live in SW MT. I was in the Corps a long time ago. Wife and two little boys and a bird dog. I grew up hunting turkeys with my grandfather on the family farm in PA but haven’t for several years. Saw a bunch of turkeys when I was chasing upland birds this fall and remembered how much fun I used to have. Bought a couple calls and I’ve been practicing. So far just the box really but I figure this year I’ll use friction calls then work my way into the mouth calling.

Is there even anyone on here from Montana?! Nobody seems to care about chasing turkeys here but there are a bunch of them. I’m hoping that means they’re dumb enough to be fooled by a novice such as myself. I’m headed back east in April for the opener in Maryland, my dad and I are going to make a trip of it to his family’s place in Charles county. Neither of us has any clue what we’re doing but should be a hoot trying to figure it out. They have a ton of turkeys and the guy who runs the farm keeps pretty good track of where they’re at so I figure that’ll be a good start. I’m gonna catch the last week of the season here in MT the days off after that and I’d love to get a Merriam’s. Just can’t decide whether or not focus my efforts where I have seen birds but they aren’t in areas traditionally known for turkey hunting or focus on the state forests out east that definitely have a bunch of birds but probably a little more competition.

I look forward to picking some of your brains as I bumble around trying to teach myself how to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Hello from Montana
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 08:06:44 AM »
Welcome aboard. There is a ton of knowledge on this board and the members are very helpful.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »
Welcome to the site. Montana is a dream, I would love to see big mountains one day, we have the Adirondack Mountains here in NY but they can't compare to the ones out West.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 01:33:08 AM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 11:54:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum... Tennessee here ...

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 12:06:44 AM »
Welcome from Ohio

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin . Good Luck with your upcoming hunts this spring