OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Leaving the 12 GA

Started by Rick, December 10, 2019, 08:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

After 2 detached retinas , im leaving my old Rem 870 with Banser barrel that i have hunted with for 30 yrs or more . Bought the Mossberg 500 20 Ga . Just dont want the kick any more .  Thinking of going with the Indian Creek .555 and Apex #9's .    Any opinions ???
Saved By Grace

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tail Feathers

.555 may be too tight.  You'll love the 20, I made the switch and my 12 didn't make it out of the safe at all last season.
I get great hunting patterns out of a Carlson's, I think it's .575...it's a flush choke on a 26" barrel.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

2eagles

I'm setting up a 20 gauge 870 compact and thinking about a Carlson choke. I have two for my 12, one waterfowl and one turkey. Really like them both. Great chokes and a reasonable price.

ol bob

Best move I ever made easier to carry,less kick,and will kill a turkey farther that you should shoot at them.

Fullfan

You will not be disappointed...  I have 4 dedicate 12ga gobbler killers, they have not been hunted for the past 5 years. That is when I made the switch to the 20's and TSS. 
Don't gobble at me...

Sir-diealot

Sorry to hear about the eyes, what caused the original injuries?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ctrize

I will be making the switch soon. It's painful to think of all the 3"twelve gauge pattern bruises.

Rick

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 10, 2019, 10:20:20 AM
When i was 8 yrs old , i was prying with a pocket knife , it slipped out of my hand and injured my right eye . Had pretty fair sight in it until the detached retinas .
Saved By Grace

crow

I have a Mossburg 20ga super bantam that shoots in the mid 250's in the 10" at 40 yards with 1 5/8 TSS #9's with a nice even 15" hunting pattern.
this is with the factory Mossburg extended Xfull choke.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Rick on December 10, 2019, 11:09:00 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 10, 2019, 10:20:20 AM
When i was 8 yrs old , i was prying with a pocket knife , it slipped out of my hand and injured my right eye . Had pretty fair sight in it until the detached retinas .
One of those freak accidents. I hope the 20 helps.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Rick

Thanks Sir-diealot.  !!!
Saved By Grace

paboxcall

I left the 12s behind last year. Carrying the same Mossberg 20 shooting 1 3/8oz. TSS #9s in the 2.75" hull. This gun preferred the IC .555.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

I stop carrying 12 ga. couple years ago and built 20 ga. form Youth model 870 - 21 inch barrel , added shurshot shot stock, forearm and saddle mount with scope ... i'm still shooting Federal HW 7 with mine and i have the Trulock 565 choke ..

Spitten and drummen

Hunting turkeys 45 years with a 12 ga. Made the switch to a 20 ga the last 6 years. Best move I made. That with #9 Tss stomps those longbeards.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE