OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Suggest some books?

Started by Sir-diealot, April 12, 2018, 09:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBubba

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 01, 2019, 04:47:06 PM
Doc Weddle's two books, Turkey Tails and Trails from Across the USA, Volumes 1 and 2 are high on my list.  Volume 2 just came out this fall.  Beyond the just plain fun of Doc's accumulated stories and cast of characters from so many years on the turkey trail, there's also a lot of hard-earned wisdom in both these books, and with some painful episodes along the way recounted with a humble honesty.  These books will definitely get you fired up to explore new ground and meet some great folks along the way.

firedup posted an excellent review in an earlier thread with info on getting Doc's books:

"I know that Hookspur / Doc Weddle has met many of us in his travels. Just thought that alot of his friends would want to know that he has his 2nd book, "Turkey Tails and Tales from across the USA, Vol 2." out now.  It is available from Amazon but if you want a signed copy (and wish to support the author), you will need to purchase a copy directly from Doc. 

It takes off where the other book (vol. 1) leaves off.  While there is certainly "how to" information in the book (a lot on researching and prepping to hunt other states), it is essentially one man's passion (an addicted fool) for turkey hunting and his adventures across American and the people and situations he encounters.  Written in a style as if you were sitting around the campfire hearing him "tell the tale". A very good read, strong on his outlook and opinions and pretty much free from the commercial BS that seems to plague our sport these days.  Paperbacks are $25 and hardcovers $35. Checks or MO's can be sent to Tom Weddle PO Box 7281, Bloomington, IN 47407. And if you don't have it, a good thing to pick up would be a copy of Vol. 1 at the same time. ** Prices includes shipping to your mailing address!  "

I forgot about these 2. If you contact him directly he'll sign them for you.  I just got but haven't had time to read them yet. Bubba

GobbleNut

Doc Weddle's two books, Turkey Tails and Trails from Across the USA, Volumes 1 and 2 are high on my list.  Volume 2 just came out this fall.  Beyond the just plain fun of Doc's accumulated stories and cast of characters from so many years on the turkey trail, there's also a lot of hard-earned wisdom in both these books, and with some painful episodes along the way recounted with a humble honesty.  These books will definitely get you fired up to explore new ground and meet some great folks along the way.

firedup posted an excellent review in an earlier thread with info on getting Doc's books:

"I know that Hookspur / Doc Weddle has met many of us in his travels. Just thought that alot of his friends would want to know that he has his 2nd book, "Turkey Tails and Tales from across the USA, Vol 2." out now.  It is available from Amazon but if you want a signed copy (and wish to support the author), you will need to purchase a copy directly from Doc. 

It takes off where the other book (vol. 1) leaves off.  While there is certainly "how to" information in the book (a lot on researching and prepping to hunt other states), it is essentially one man's passion (an addicted fool) for turkey hunting and his adventures across American and the people and situations he encounters.  Written in a style as if you were sitting around the campfire hearing him "tell the tale". A very good read, strong on his outlook and opinions and pretty much free from the commercial BS that seems to plague our sport these days.  Paperbacks are $25 and hardcovers $35. Checks or MO's can be sent to Tom Weddle PO Box 7281, Bloomington, IN 47407. And if you don't have it, a good thing to pick up would be a copy of Vol. 1 at the same time. ** Prices includes shipping to your mailing address!  "

Excellent reviews.  Indeed, in my opinion, these two books by one of our contemporaries are a step above most others in terms of content, presentation, and just plain old good writing skills.  For anyone that enjoys reading about turkey hunting and all its associated elements, Doc's two books are "must-haves".

spencerhoosier

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 02, 2019, 08:15:48 AM

Excellent reviews.  Indeed, in my opinion, these two books by one of our contemporaries are a step above most others in terms of content, presentation, and just plain old good writing skills.  For anyone that enjoys reading about turkey hunting and all its associated elements, Doc's two books are "must-haves".

Agreed on all accounts!

West Augusta

One that I'm reading right now and highly recommend it The American Wild Turkey Hunting Tactics and Techniques by John McDaniel.  So far it's the best book I've read.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: West Augusta on August 12, 2019, 09:07:33 PM
One that I'm reading right now and highly recommend it The American Wild Turkey Hunting Tactics and Techniques by John McDaniel.  So far it's the best book I've read.
Thank you I have added it to my list. My favorite book I have read so far has been Somewhere Along the way by Andy Johnson. His second book Dirt Roads and Dogwoods came out last week and I have made arrangements to buy an autographed copy from. I hope it is as good as his first.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tal

I enjoyed 'Wayne's Turkey World, 60 years of hunting' by Wayne Bailey. I suggested it once though and was told the prices on that book have really gone up. You seldom see it mentioned.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tal on August 12, 2019, 11:04:54 PM
I enjoyed 'Wayne's Turkey World, 60 years of hunting' by Wayne Bailey. I suggested it once though and was told the prices on that book have really gone up. You seldom see it mentioned.
Thank you, I added it to the list. The list has gotten HUGE https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3RQCKT5W0NAK8?ref_=wl_share
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Southerngobbler

Has" Turkey Men" been mentioned. It's kinda expensive but a good read on how guys completed their US slams-getting a bird in all the states.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Southerngobbler on August 13, 2019, 01:15:21 PM
Has" Turkey Men" been mentioned. It's kinda expensive but a good read on how guys completed their US slams-getting a bird in all the states.
Not it is not mentioned but I need the authors name please in order to find it. Thank you.

John Koenig:

Southerngobbler

Turkey Men by Thomas R Pero. I think I bought mine from Wild Rivers press but they may be available else ware now. I think there might be a volume II out now as well.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: crow on October 28, 2018, 10:29:38 AM
Quote from: Lazy coyote on October 25, 2018, 09:35:04 PM
Crow killer.  Saga of liver eating Johnson

Excellent book, as good as the movie is, this is one time Hollywood underplayed the character.
The real life Johnson made the movie version look like a Boy Scout.

You are right. I would love to see a remake of that movie.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Halfski

My favorites are The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Tall Timber Gabriels, both of Kenny Morgan's books, Double Gobble, East of the Slash, and both of Doc Weddle's books. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Halfski on October 03, 2019, 11:35:25 AM
My favorites are The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Tall Timber Gabriels, both of Kenny Morgan's books, Double Gobble, East of the Slash, and both of Doc Weddle's books.
Thank you very much, I will look into them. Old Pro is already on the list.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

To those of you that suggestions The Old Pro Turkey Hunter thank you very much, it was a great book.

John Koenig: