OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Florida draw results are out  (Read 1749 times)

Online POk3s

Florida draw results are out
« on: December 04, 2019, 08:58:15 PM »
To my surprise I drew, which sent excitement down my spine. Then I realized it was my 5th choice. Richloam for the first 9 days. I need somebody who’s hunted it to say “go for it” as Im feeling apprehensive. Doing a little bit of research I’ve got Shannon’s words ringing in my ears of “Florida Osceola hunting isn’t getting any better and the bottom will drop out in less than 20 years.”

If anyone drew it would be cool to meet up!

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Florida draw results are out
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »
If your a local and have years of experience hunting that area, it can be fun and productive.  If your not, then it can be very frustrating and disheartening.   If you have never been to Richloam, your going to think how in the heck am I going to kill a turkey in this place.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »
Plan for at least 2 full days of scouting before the opener. And hit it hard. Try to roost 'em every evening. If you are a good turkey hunter, you should get it done. The birds start dropping fast there as there are certain spots that always hold them and the locals know it. But don't let it discourage you. I've seen some WILD stuff from hunters there. They love to pop 'em off the roost (which is illegal). Back when rifles were legal, I saw a fellow with his young son hunting from the road with a .22-250 (i think that was the caliber, scary!). I've found bait piles right next to the main roads. Multiple times I've seen folks set up decoys along the main roads. Needless to say, it can be quite the experience!

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 08:28:05 PM »
I didn't get drawn this year.  I didn't figure I would, seeing as this was my first year trying to get in on a limited entry hunt. I'll try again next year.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
Got drawn for Fish Eating Creek on opening day.

And it looks like we're gonna have to turn 'em back in due to scheduling conflicts. :'(

It's nice to know we have the points cause next year, it should be ON!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »

And it looks like we're gonna have to turn 'em back in due to scheduling conflicts.
Man, that's a shame.   I scattered a few feather down there in my early years.  You would really enjoy that place.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 09:45:47 PM »
2 preference points now and spec-op # as low as 7 and high as 139.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »
What does the # for the special-op mean? Is it how many people were picked in front of you?
Also if you purchase multiple tries for the same hunt would your #s be consecutive or do they scramble them up for what might seem like better odds.

Online POk3s

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I’m going to keep the tag and go. I flat out don’t have the time to scout it right before the opener but I will be there for the entire 9 days. Taking a week off of work. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a cheap flight in late February or early March to go drive around, scout some and listen over a weekend.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 04:11:04 PM »

And it looks like we're gonna have to turn 'em back in due to scheduling conflicts.
Man, that's a shame.   I scattered a few feather down there in my early years.  You would really enjoy that place.
I think the plan is to try again next year.  This one was kind of a test to see if we could.  I'll be PM'ing for some tips if we do it next spring.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline squidd

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 08:49:41 PM »
What does the # for the special-op mean? Is it how many people were picked in front of you?
Also if you purchase multiple tries for the same hunt would your #s be consecutive or do they scramble them up for what might seem like better odds.

Have never received a spec-op permit and assume if anyone awarded does not purchase the permit, it goes to those waiting inline. Even at #7 waiting inline, I doubt I’ll have a chance. Maybe #1 or # 2 will get a chance?

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 10:05:24 PM »
Good luck! I got drawn for Goethe and almost talked myself into returning it, but reminded myself I’ll get a couple week head start on my schedule! Not real crazy about 129 other people being on the place but I’ll go give it a shot. Richloam is some nice county, never spent any time on it but should be plenty of turkeys. How many permits are given out?

Offline squidd

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 12:09:10 AM »
10 per spec-op Hunt I three $5 each into

Online POk3s

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 12:16:26 PM »
Good luck! I got drawn for Goethe and almost talked myself into returning it, but reminded myself I’ll get a couple week head start on my schedule! Not real crazy about 129 other people being on the place but I’ll go give it a shot. Richloam is some nice county, never spent any time on it but should be plenty of turkeys. How many permits are given out?

250 people on 58,000 acres i believe. Going to be pretty crowded that first weekend. But I think if I have half a plan after the busy weekend heading into the week that I'll feel good about it.