OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Calling Preference: Farmer or Cox?  (Read 9181 times)

Offline mmclain

Re: Calling Preference: Farmer or Cox?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 07:33:07 PM »
Why have a preference. Just call as you need

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 09:29:37 AM »
Both imitate turkeys. Been putting in some time the last couple years to get better. Recently had some encounters with hens and it quickly became obvious I was way too caught up in sound of yelps and yelping way too slow. Always been my tendency with calls to get so focused on sound of box, pot and now trumpet that I’m over playing the yelps and slower than most hens. Both men listed reproduce turkeys pretty well and are two quite different examples of trumpet capability. Just remember to listen to real birds to influence the hen in your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »
The way I see it, there are two different styles of yelping.  What I call the traditional way and the Farmeristic style. Both can be played loud or softly.  Too me the biggest difference is the transition of the yelp going from the high end to the lower end. The Farmeristic style TO ME is a much smother roll over are transition with a slight rasp at the end.  The yelp of the traditional way has more of a pop when going from high to low. To MY ear the Farmeristic style produces a more realistic yelp.

Well said. I love the farmer style and have been constantly working at it for 2 years. Im not farmer good but I call in birds so im happy.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 04:24:11 AM »
I know what you're saying, however I don't try to mimic either of those styles anymore. I listen to recordings of real hens when I practice and try my best to imitate them. It helps tremendously

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Scpossum

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »
Mr Gamble has replied. He is a damn fine trumpet man. He is a subtle caller from what I know. His sometime hunting partner a certain Mr. James Buice is a loud caller from what I know..

Two sides of the coin. Both sides can shine and only a Gobbler knows what he likes.

Trumpet calls aren't for most as they require more " due diligence" to be great with. Most folks won't put in the time behind the wheel.

If you are referring to the same Mr. Gamble that I had to pleasure to meet at Unicoi this past weekend, then all I have to say is WOW. A true master of an air operated call. I can absolutely say he is by far the best I've ever heard. He actually made my weekend and is an inspiration and a truly humble man.

That calling sequence you are referring to may be some of the best calling I have ever heard in or out of the woods-in person or video.  When he started all I could see was a bright light and I was walking toward it.  Thank you, Mr. Gamble for sharing with us. 

Offline professorwingbone

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
As stated, both Farmer and Cox are outstanding callers and I can't leave out my buddys MP and PG! That said, I prefer to hear the more raspy Farmer style but play a more clear style myself, mainly because I have been unable to master the Farmer style to my satisfaction. Interestingly, reading through these responses, I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned that regardless how you might sound, it is the cadence of the call that is of most importance. A horrible trumpet, wingbone or cane caller can kill turkeys if the cadence is spot on. Just my opinion.

Fred Cox (no relation) and I say that because I'm asked that all the time, I'm called Frank Cox quite a bit, have nothing against Frank and actually refer to one another as "Cuz".

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 09:03:49 AM »
Any given Sunday. When a gobbler is ready to die it doesnt matter what style or cadence or even if your wearing camoflage.

Be where he is willing to come die and if his mood is right you cant do much wrong. Ive heard real turkeys sound like both styles. Both will kill turkeys.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:07:39 AM by savduck »
Georgia Boy

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »
Farmer's sound isn't entirely in the call. You can call like that with any style mouthpiece. I hate having figured that out, because it isn't what I think is the killingest sound to get from a suction yelper. It is easier to relax into if you switch back and forth.

The big difference is that if that video Cox put on youtube wasn't a joke, he doesn't actually sound like a turkey. But maybe he was just having an episode that day.  :goofball:

Offline BMAC_Turkeys

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2020, 11:07:02 PM »
If I could have a live hen yelping beside me or MP calling for me, Id prob take Mark.

All can call and all can kill turkeys

Offline randywallace

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
I have never met the man and only watched him on video a few times, but Farmer has a rather consistently odd cadence to my ear.

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
Rasp can be rendered on mouthpiece shapes that may include round, square, beveled, or notched. Certainly some lend themselves to rasp more than others. Proficiency of the person holding the instrument is key.

Rasp with a trumpet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline DocHolliday

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2020, 06:24:20 PM »
Yessir

Offline superx2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2020, 07:33:26 PM »
Any given Sunday. When a gobbler is ready to die it doesnt matter what style or cadence or even if your wearing camoflage.

Be where he is willing to come die and if his mood is right you cant do much wrong. Ive heard real turkeys sound like both styles. Both will kill turkeys.

I believe this 110%