OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Calling Preference: Farmer or Cox?  (Read 9145 times)

Offline Paladin85

Calling Preference: Farmer or Cox?
« on: December 01, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
Do you prefer ( or have reason to believe that gobblers prefer) the unique, raspy calling style of Zach Farmer or the more common (it seems) muted, subtle, calling style of LF Cox? I’ve heard both of these heralded masters on youtube videos, and while I’m amazed at Zach’s ability, which I cannot begin to duplicate, I think I prefer Cox’s style. What do you think?

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Calling Preference: Farmer or Cox?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
The subtle approach. Having a flock of hens beneath me a few times archery hunting this season I heard that low talk you can get on a yelper. I could count on one hand how many times they yelped loudly and it was only in response to me using my voice to yelp. Not sure I would have heard them if it wasn’t for me calling to them. It’s amazing how much vocal noise they make when your only 10 or 20 yards away from them. Sounds you don’t hear from a distance like 40 or more yards. I guess that’s why they have such good hearing.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »
I don't think its a matter of preference. Turkeys use both, will respond to both and we should as well.  I, like you, will never be even near as good as either of these gentlemen but will continue to try my best to duplicate each of them. In addition, it's not just the type of calling that's important, its knowing when to use each one and I'm still working on that as well.

Offline Paladin85

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 09:21:42 PM »
Well said. Thanks to both of you for your replies. I really appreciate the collective experience and wisdom this site provides!

Offline Trumpetyelper

• Some Favorites
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »
I really like this question... Obviously both of these guys can call.  What I would add to the conversation is how crappy someone can sound, and still harvest a turkey.. I have a brother-in-law that has a screachy loud long box that you would swear would scare every turkey in the county, but they come into it.  He breaks every old timer suggestion you have heard and it still works out for him sometimes. Cheers gentlemen..

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 07:16:31 AM »
Out of these two, Farmer.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Jobugg12

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 11:21:38 AM »
Cox

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
I have actually sat with both Gentlemen and listened to them call - live.

Both can call loud or subtle.  Different styles of course, but Zach and Frank are trumpet calling masters. The large stack of Gobblers that they have each killed should serve as proof of their prowess.There is much to learn from either man.

I have no preference as to style and I doubt Gobblers do either.
Royal Slam 2008

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 05:02:07 PM »
When I listen to Farmer play a trumpet on those you tube videos it amazes me how he does that!

That sound does not sound like what most people think a trumpet should sound like or even a turkey call should sound like to most people.

Doing a little research last year after hearing his videos there are two keys to that sound.

The first one is his mouthpiece design hard to describe but its an open slit, image a traditional mouthpiece cut in half diagonally almost like a cutaway to show the inside of the mouthpiece.

Second the man definitely is using a specific technique in drawing air, I have never played one of his trumpets but I have read its not easy.

Certainly no love lost between Cox towards reverend Farmer and I don't know the background behind that or really care to get involved in that.

Reverend Farmer is from a small South Carolina town very close to where I am from and everyone in that area speaks highly of him as a true southern gentleman.

There is no doubt there both talented call makers and callers.

Offline Wind Call

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 05:30:19 PM »
Rasp can be rendered on mouthpiece shapes that may include round, square, beveled, or notched. Certainly some lend themselves to rasp more than others. Proficiency of the person holding the instrument is key.

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 06:33:41 PM »
Agree 1,000,000 percent.  :icon_thumright:

Royal Slam 2008

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
You get any turkey hunting master in the woods and they know how to make any call work to their advantage. I personally prefer the clearer sounding calls from a yelper simply because I have plenty of other calls that are raspy. I have also noticed (or it may be my imagination) that turkeys seem to respond best to soft and simple. The range at which a turkey can hear a yelper (Wingbone, cane or trumpet) played softly continues (after 30 years) to amaze me.

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
You get any turkey hunting master in the woods and they know how to make any call work to their advantage. I personally prefer the clearer sounding calls from a yelper simply because I have plenty of other calls that are raspy. I have also noticed (or it may be my imagination) that turkeys seem to respond best to soft and simple. The range at which a turkey can hear a yelper (Wingbone, cane or trumpet) played softly continues (after 30 years) to amaze me.

Well said Tony and I agree with you, its a hard lesson to learn to call softer but once you realize that most of the turkey's your around, you realize they do call soft more often than not.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
Mr Gamble has replied. He is a damn fine trumpet man. He is a subtle caller from what I know. His sometime hunting partner a certain Mr. James Buice is a loud caller from what I know..

Two sides of the coin. Both sides can shine and only a Gobbler knows what he likes.

Trumpet calls aren't for most as they require more " due diligence" to be great with. Most folks won't put in the time behind the wheel.

Royal Slam 2008

Offline KPcalls

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 03:48:06 PM »
 The way I see it, there are two different styles of yelping.  What I call the traditional way and the Farmeristic style. Both can be played loud or softly.  Too me the biggest difference is the transition of the yelp going from the high end to the lower end. The Farmeristic style TO ME is a much smother roll over are transition with a slight rasp at the end.  The yelp of the traditional way has more of a pop when going from high to low. To MY ear the Farmeristic style produces a more realistic yelp.