OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling Preference: Farmer or Cox?

Started by Paladin85, December 01, 2019, 04:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobugg12

Quote from: nitro on December 02, 2019, 05:00:28 PM
I have actually sat with both Gentlemen and listened to them call - live.

Both can call loud or subtle.  Different styles of course, but Zach and Frank are trumpet calling masters. The large stack of Gobblers that they have each killed should serve as proof of their prowess.There is much to learn from either man.

I have no preference as to style and I doubt Gobblers do either.

Nitro, Have you really ever sit with Frank and heard him call to live turkeys? I heard you hadn't.......

nitro

Never said I have hunted with them. I have sat and listened to them both call live and in person. What's your point other than poor reading comprehension on your part?
Royal Slam 2008

eorlando

Quote from: nitro on December 06, 2019, 03:37:48 PM
Never said I have hunted with them. I have sat and listened to them both call live and in person. What's your point other than poor reading comprehension on your part?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KPcalls

Give him time. He will be back. He's just waiting on further instructions....????

The two best I've heard don't have the last names of Farmer or cOx.

Jobugg12

I can read and comprehend what you wrote.  Maybe you didn't say hunt, but you did say sit with both gentlemen and listened to them call - live........If he said he's never played a call around you, so just wondering why you acted like you heard him play that's all. 

Jobugg12

Quote from: KPcalls on December 06, 2019, 07:45:05 PM
Give him time. He will be back. He's just waiting on further instructions....????

The two best I've heard don't have the last names of Farmer or cOx.

I'm glad for you KP, that's great.   

ol bob

100% of the turkeys in the world don't know who Mr Farmer or Mr Cox are and they sure don't care how they play a trumpet. On some days any one that can make a half way turkey sound on a trumpet can kill one other days no one can regardless how good they play just because turkeys are turkeys.

davisd9

Quote from: KPcalls on December 06, 2019, 07:45:05 PM

It's funny because it is true!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jobugg12

I think it's funny you buying a bunch of trumpets makes you think you're a calling expert? That's the joke!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: ol bob on December 07, 2019, 11:32:04 AM
100% of the turkeys in the world don't know who Mr Farmer or Mr Cox are and they sure don't care how they play a trumpet. On some days any one that can make a half way turkey sound on a trumpet can kill one other days no one can regardless how good they play just because turkeys are turkeys.

This.  And I will add Mark Prudhomme as one of the best I've EVER heard.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

EZ

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on December 08, 2019, 03:39:12 PM
Quote from: ol bob on December 07, 2019, 11:32:04 AM

This.  And I will add Mark Prudhomme as one of the best I've EVER heard.

No doubt about that Alan!!!

eastern assassin

I have both calls. The cox is much easier to call on , it is a great call, the farmer took years to master. I play guitar trying to master master the farmer was like learning to play guitar. I have used both in combination for. 20 plus years. 38 all together.  I have 492 kills,   111 with the farmer, and equal that with the cox  .  It's been fun, 8 more to go , then golf and finish butterfly collection if u believe that  ####### .easternassassin acorns and turkey tracks

EZ

Quote from: nitro on December 04, 2019, 05:35:30 PM
Mr Gamble has replied. He is a damn fine trumpet man. He is a subtle caller from what I know. His sometime hunting partner a certain Mr. James Buice is a loud caller from what I know..

Two sides of the coin. Both sides can shine and only a Gobbler knows what he likes.

Trumpet calls aren't for most as they require more " due diligence" to be great with. Most folks won't put in the time behind the wheel.

If you are referring to the same Mr. Gamble that I had to pleasure to meet at Unicoi this past weekend, then all I have to say is WOW. A true master of an air operated call. I can absolutely say he is by far the best I've ever heard. He actually made my weekend and is an inspiration and a truly humble man.

davisd9

Quote from: EZ on January 13, 2020, 09:47:37 AM
Quote from: nitro on December 04, 2019, 05:35:30 PM
Mr Gamble has replied. He is a damn fine trumpet man. He is a subtle caller from what I know. His sometime hunting partner a certain Mr. James Buice is a loud caller from what I know..

Two sides of the coin. Both sides can shine and only a Gobbler knows what he likes.

Trumpet calls aren't for most as they require more " due diligence" to be great with. Most folks won't put in the time behind the wheel.

If you are referring to the same Mr. Gamble that I had to pleasure to meet at Unicoi this past weekend, then all I have to say is WOW. A true master of an air operated call. I can absolutely say he is by far the best I've ever heard. He actually made my weekend and is an inspiration and a truly humble man.

PG is definitely the best and I enjoyed conversation with him and hearing his thoughts and ideas on suction style calls!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ol bob

I've been making trumpets over 25 years and have had quite a few experts play them but i will have to say that Mr Gamble is in a class by himself, and if you ever meet him be sure to ask him to play for you.    He can make anyone's trumpet or wing bone sound good even mine.