OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Visit with Billy Buice  (Read 3171 times)

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
Visit with Billy Buice
« on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
Went to visit Mr Buice the first week of November and had a great time!

Picked up two turpin boxes, one all walnut the other maple, a scratch box and a 5 1/2 inch delrin trumpet (not the flashiest Mr Buice makes but I love the sound of this one).

Learned a ton of information listening to Mr Buice talk he is a walking encyclopedia of turkey call history and a fine southern gentleman.

Thought I would mention the rumors that Mr Buice is not making calls now are untrue he had a lot of trumpets in progress on his bench when I was at his shop.

Also anyone buying calls from him and turning around putting them for sell within a month of buying and then selling them for profits you might want to think twice about that if you ever want another call from him I think he knows who you are  :angry9:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:50:42 AM by va longbeard »

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Visit with Billy Buice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
Awsome. I hope to visit him 1 day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
More pics.

Mr Buice himself and his curio cabinet with his personnel calls.  He has the #1 trumpet he ever made in that cabinet an incredible collectible.

Box call is the famous dial tone adjustable turpin box, the scalloped edges on the lid are for purring you would not believe the purrs when you run your knuckle down the edge of those.

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »
I have one of those all walnut Turpin boxes. It’s really a nice box.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 10:43:18 AM »
The last time I talked to home he said he's taking a break form making calls  is he
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
The last time I talked to home he said he's taking a break form making calls  is he

Nope I just talked with him on the phone last week he is still going at it strong making calls for Unicoi. 

He has a table at the show and hopes to be there at least one day and if not his son will be there with calls for sale.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »
Hes making calls for Unicoi and finishing up his list. Break time after that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
I'm very appreciated for the update. , thank you
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »
Man that trumpet is ! I hope to visit him before unicoi. We talked on the phone about me possibly stopping by the day before the show. Did you happen to see a pistachio trumpet on his table?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
Man that trumpet is ! I hope to visit him before unicoi. We talked on the phone about me possibly stopping by the day before the show. Did you happen to see a pistachio trumpet on his table?

I think I might have seen that pistachio or the blank for it Chad, I am thinking about stopping by his house on Thursday before Unicoi too.  I really want to go back to Lonnie Mabry's shop as well.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »

I think I might have seen that pistachio or the blank for it Chad, I am thinking about stopping by his house on Thursday before Unicoi too.  I really want to go back to Lonnie Mabry's shop as well.
That pistachio of mine should be coming up soon. Maybe we can meet up at Mr. Billy's place before unicoi. 10 hour drive for me, was thinking about leaving on Wednesday.

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »

That pistachio of mine should be coming up soon. Maybe we can meet up at Mr. Billy's place before unicoi. 10 hour drive for me, was thinking about leaving on Wednesday.

I will get in touch with you Chad we are planning on being there around noon on Thursday.

Maybe we could meet up at Lonnie's also its only a few minutes from Mr Buice's house, had a blast visiting him as well.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »

I will get in touch with you Chad we are planning on being there around noon on Thursday.

Maybe we could meet up at Lonnie's also its only a few minutes from Mr Buice's house, had a blast visiting him as well.

Looking forward to meeting you.
Sounds good! Looking forward to it also!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 01:42:32 PM »
Those are some good looking calls. One of his box calls are on ebay right now, wish I had the funds I would bid on it.

I would really enjoy meeting with some of those fine Southern gentleman I have heard so much about here on this site, It would be an experience and I would love to learn a thing or two from them and hear them spin a yarn. Enjoyed hearing some of them that came down for The NorthEast Call Makers Summit this past year and they were not even old timers.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »
Those are some beautiful calls form a master builder ... i know your proud to own them... about the person buying for making a turn around profit , that's sad ....